1882H Large Cent

Bill in Burl

1882H Large Cent

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:55 am

From another board (CCF), someone was asking about the 1882 large H over small H "variety". The H/H is NOT a variety, since ALL 1882's have a large H over a small H ... Coins and Canda is wrong in their pricing or ID'ing it separately. I have looked at well over 1000 1882's, as has a few of my collector friends ... they ALL are H/H. Jack Griffin, in his Large Cent variety book, also says the same thing .. all are H/H. The correction was done on the master or hub, so all working dies had the recut. On some coins, the underlying H may be hard to see or very faint due to die polishing or die/coin wear, but it's there. The ID and pricing guide on this site that delineates an H/H is wrong and it should be removed. This question comes up every 6 months or so and rears its ugly head again. I'll try to correct it once more.
Bill in Burl

Shylo

Re: 1882H Large Cent

Post by Shylo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 am

Bill when you say that you have looked at well over 1000 .. is that 1000 of your own coins or just in general.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:12 pm

I have probably looked at maybe 5-10,000 1882's, since I live in the T.O. area and used to attend nearly every show within 60 miles.... and have been an avid variety collector/researcher for the last 20 years. I would guess that I personally have well over 400 1882's, all but 150 or so are Obv 1's, 1a's, 1a/1's and the 2/1 variants. I received an email back from the CaC administrator and the H/H designator will be removed from the pricing/ID info.
Bill in Burl

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 pm

I am truely amazed Bill..... the amount of knowledge you posess... I've just started to get into large cents... partially from the stuff I have read on many boards. Haven't picked up many vickies yet as it's hard to get a lot of them for cheap.

What would be your recommended reading list for someone to learn a lot more about large cents. Web sites, books, articles you name it....I just came across the vickycents web site and have been loving all the information there... anything else that you would recommend?

Ohh and do you have any tips on aquiring large lots of large cents economically.. or has your collection been amassed picking up a few pieces here and there... ? So far I've been looking at auctions for large lots, my theory is that they've probably already been picked through but my thought is at least I have a few things to work with right now.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:08 am

I would go to as many larger coin shows as you can, if you live fairly close to a larger city. Early on, I used to get lots of things from shows but, then again, at that time a good portion of the coins were raw .. now it's almost all TPG stuff, but many dealers still hold boxes of raw stuff behind the tables. Check out any local dealers or, if you see dealer ads from CCN, make a day of visiting something an hour or so away .. call first. Join a coin club, if possible, and sign up as a member of the RCNA so you can get the CN Journal every month.

If you are just starting Large Cents, you should spend nearly as much on books in the first year as you do coins. If you are going to collect Canadian denominations for a long time, I would recommend buying Rob Turner's "the 1858 Cents of Provincial Canada" because it gives a complete history of the events leading to the first coinages, the equipment that they used, and the minting processes themselves. That book covers much more than just the 1858 cent (which it does in its entirety, including all known working dies at the time) but lays the ground for everything that happens later. Then you should pick up a copy of Turner's "Dies and Diadems" that covers the cents from 1876 to 1901, and includes a complete (at the time) workup of all the 1891 working dies. Rob's site is great as well (+ order info) : http://www.victoriancent.com/index.html

For freebies, look at Dan Flynn's two sites (one is a blog). He hasn't done much work on it in the last year or so, but a project he has been working on is nearing completion:
https://sites.google.com/site/victorial ... tsite/home
http://www.piczo.com/Dan-in-Crystal-Lake?cr=6#

Try to pick the brains of people who are more knowledgeable than you are and ask 'intelligent' questions. Most any collector will help out those just starting. I wouldn't buy coins 'lots' just for numbers sake, because you'll end up with lots of "chaff" ... Ed's and George's will pile up. Buying small lots of 3-4 coins is a good way to go and try to make them at least Ebay VF (an Ebay VF is like an F-15 in hand). Unless you really know what you are doing, don't buy anything on Ebay from centsles or scardinal .. both will have some nice coins, but may not be described correctly .. be careful.

Lastly .. before you do any serious buying, learn how to grade and how to tell if a coin has been cleaned. Don't believe Ebay announcements of 'mint luster' or 'traces of red' on coins that show any wear .. bronze is very susceptible to any oxidizing cleaning agent (common stuff under any sink) that turns bronze that orangy/brassy color that sometimes looks red. Stay away from any coins that look like they have an oily sheen on them, reflecting light. Many times this is just masking a very dull surface patina, hiding harsh cleaning or being buried. Good luck.
Bill in Burl

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 am

Thank you so much Bill.... I must admit I'm pretty new to the hobby, I have only really started collecting in the past 2 years. I love almost all denominations and have found a particular affinity towards banknotes, as well as 50 cent & 25 cent pieces. I'm a bit discouraged with 50 cent pieces as there are a few dates I just don't see myself purchasing as I like coins that are at least fine and I have a higher preference to vf-ef as minimum standards.

With so much talk about pennies from these forums (other forums) and with some other collectors in general. I have really started to take interest in that area as well. One thing I LOVE about this hobby is that there really is so much to learn, which makes this really fun!

I will take your advice on the reading material... as well as looking into a coin club. Never really thought of joining one before.. I'm not sure why but the thought is a bit intimidating.. being in a room with people that know a whole lot more than me on a particular subject matter may only remind me of the classroom...

Ahh well those are my issues... I'm sure there's something I could learn from the experience so I will look into that as well... Thank you for all the tips...

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 am

This variety is now removed.