1951 Penny looking for input.

CDNMace

1951 Penny looking for input.

Post by CDNMace » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Found a 1951 George VI penny with die clash (above) while looking though a roll of U.S. pennies. Upon closer inspection, something I thought was simply human damage has me scratching my head a bit now. Hopefully you can weigh in...

Normally I would simply have written this off as human/time caused damage (the cut), been happy with the die clash error, and moved on; but when looking at the groves, there are, what seems to me, to be clear double stamping. You can see the cut, but I can't make up my mind if this is man or machine made? What appears to be the clearer double stamping is the lower.

More defined of the clear view of possible double stamping and the cut.

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks a lot.

verdigris

Re: 1951 Penny looking for input.

Post by verdigris » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:38 am

Clearly a die crack at the south end, could it be AMD at the top? Retained Broken Die IMHO.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Cheers

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:25 am

verdigris wrote:Clearly a die crack at the south end, could it be AMD at the top? Retained Broken Die IMHO.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning double stamp until you raised die crack on the lower. However, like you, the top still has me a bit puzzled, and can only answer myself with a question mark each time. Forgive my pre-caffeinated state... 'AMD'? -- I'm sure I'll have a face palm moment shortly.

Thanks again.

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:01 am

Sorry--I should be more clear: after mint damage. The impression I get is that the rim has taken some heavy damage while in circulation at the same spot as the die crack, which appears to start and perhaps finish at the edge of the die .

Cheers

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:25 am

verdigris wrote:Sorry--I should be more clear: after mint damage. The impression I get is that the rim has taken some heavy damage while in circulation at the same spot as the die crack, which appears to start and perhaps finish at the edge of the die .

Cheers

The feedback is much appreciated!! Thank you.