1884 Large Cent Variety Question: Obverse #1 or #2

CDNMace

1884 Large Cent Variety Question: Obverse #1 or #2

Post by CDNMace » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Hello All,

Hoping someone could help me identify which 1884 obverse I have here. #1 or #2? Second, is calling this VG- too generous (Clearly, I've been in the states too long, having joined in on the +/- grading bandwagon haha)?

Much appreciated,

Steve

Bill in Burl

Re: 1884 Large Cent Variety Question: Obverse #1 or #2

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:25 pm

It's a #2. The crown tip impinges on the bead at the top, the neck truncation doesn't end just above the bead over the C (it's between them), and the left foot on the N in Regina has the serifs on both sides equal length (the Obv 1 will have a longer one on the right, inside one). And, with all Obv 1's, the chin/throat has to be smooth with a rounded arc & no 'dimple'.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:It's a #2. The crown tip impinges on the bead at the top, the neck truncation doesn't end just above the bead over the C (it's between them), and the left foot on the N in Regina has the serifs on both sides equal length (the Obv 1 will have a longer one on the right, inside one). And, with all Obv 1's, the chin/throat has to be smooth with a rounded arc & no 'dimple'.

Once again, very much appreciated, Bill. I still have NO complaints regarding this bag of large cents I picked up here in the states for a song and a dance. I did heed your advice and have ordered the Charlton. I did order the 2014 though. Hopefully some of your previous work is cited in it -- I would find that very cool.

Thanks again,

Steve

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:00 pm

The 2014 edition will really tell you nothing about the large cents. Every year, the back 80-100 pages are dedicated to varities of a specific denomination/monarch. The 2011 was on Vicky large cents. The 2014 edition is earlier 50 cent pieces and is Paul Glover's (a friend of mine) work. Last year was Roger Paulen's (another friend) work on nickel dollars. If I'm guessing right, next year will be 25 cents ... that's if Bill Cross hasn't sold Charlton yet.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:The 2014 edition will really tell you nothing about the large cents. Every year, the back 80-100 pages are dedicated to varities of a specific denomination/monarch. The 2011 was on Vicky large cents. The 2014 edition is earlier 50 cent pieces and is Paul Glover's (a friend of mine) work. Last year was Roger Paulen's (another friend) work on nickel dollars. If I'm guessing right, next year will be 25 cents ... that's if Bill Cross hasn't sold Charlton yet.

Well, that is a bit of a let down about the book, although I am always thrilled to have any guides. I cannot seem to locate the 2011 at my preferred vendor on eBay (out of Kansas). If you could provide me a link to where I could purchase your work (Hopefully not a CA site where shipping doubles the price haha), I would be very appreciative.

If you don't mind, I have one more 1884. I have compared it to the #2 you have already confirmed. This second piece: There is the rounding, that is clear. The serif of the N appears smaller on the left-side. And the denticles are only touching due to wear (EI denticle does have a clear separation under the loupe, but I could not get a better photo. The connection, again, is due to wear) -- but a line of separation is apparent. The neck base denticle is only filled by dirt and a small area of wear.

Does this piece appear to be a #1 or #2 in your opinion.

Thank you again for everything, Bill. Your experience is invaluable; and please forward me a link where I can purchase the edition with your contributions.

Thanks,

Steve

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:37 pm

That's a #2 as well. If you have an 1876, compare the portrait (and where the crown tip meets the bead) with any 1881, 82, or 84 to see if you have a type of OBV 1 (but the 1, 1a's, 1/1a's and 2/1's will have a different neck truncation in relation to the bead over the C in Canada). The smooth, rounded throat/chin of the '76 will tell you what to look for in the others. I would check a couple of the other Canada coin sites (CCF or Canadiancopper coins) for some threads on where people have found the 2011 Charlton. Also check 'Abe Books" for vendors that carry used books..... Abe has a search so you can look for the books you want.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:That's a #2 as well. If you have an 1876, compare the portrait (and where the crown tip meets the bead) with any 1881, 82, or 84 to see if you have a type of OBV 1 (but the 1, 1a's, 1/1a's and 2/1's will have a different neck truncation in relation to the bead over the C in Canada). The smooth, rounded throat/chin of the '76 will tell you what to look for in the others. I would check a couple of the other Canada coin sites (CCF or Canadiancopper coins) for some threads on where people have found the 2011 Charlton. Also check 'Abe Books" for vendors that carry used books..... Abe has a search so you can look for the books you want.

As a matter of fact, I do (I have 4 '76's)! And I completely see it now. the photos on CAC are not exactly 'helpful' in this instance. I was simply looking for separation. Thanks again. And thanks for the tip on the '11 edition.

Strike outs with the '84's, but finding that one of my three '94's is a Large 4 today was great enough! Can't have it all, as it were. Best $11 USD I ever spent. The best $29 USD was buying a 1948 50c this morning. I'd say at a F+. So I'm a happy camper today, regardless.

I can't stress it enough, Bill, thank you for your help as I continue to learn my country's minting history, varieties, and types. Your help is beyond invaluable.

Cheers,

Steve