A very odd penny

Canadave

A very odd penny

Post by Canadave » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 pm

While I have a small box of unusual coins, I'm by no means a collector. However, there is one coin I have which is very odd.

On one side, it is a 1952 Canadian penny, with the maple leaf design. On the other side, it is an American wheat penny.

It weighs 3.6 grams on my inexpensive kitchen scale. While I've not taken precise measurements, it appears to be the correct size/shape for a penny. It is not magnetic. On both sides, there's a bit of silver showing through the copper.

My basic question is: Is this just a novelty, or something that I should pursue as a coin that may be of interest to collectors?

Bill in Burl

Re: A very odd penny

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Without seeing it, I can only guess that it's a homemade sandwich job. Look at the edges and see if it's 2 coin halves soldered/glued together.
Bill in Burl

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Dave,
Like Bill says; I suppose the two coins would be perfectly ground down to half thickness and then assembled. Seems like a lot of skill and bother to go through. Probably a magician's trick/hoax coin... turning a Cdn penny into a wheatie. Kids would love it. It's simple, it works, and 60 years later they're still talking about it!

Cheers

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:06 pm

Canadave wrote:My basic question is: Is this just a novelty, or something that I should pursue as a coin that may be of interest to collectors?

To answer the question that I missed...and getting back to what I said above...
The cost of labour that it took to make this piece, if it can be examined and still fool the "mark", probably exceeds what it might sell for, so why wouldn't it appeal to coin collectors?
Magicians + coins...what's not to like?

http://www.roykueppers.com/

Cheers

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Here's an article about "sandwich coins" :
http://www.coinworld.com/articles/extra ... ts-mystify