Die Gouge on 2000 Canada Cents and Questions

ikandiggit

Die Gouge on 2000 Canada Cents and Questions

Post by ikandiggit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:25 am

I have these two 2000 Canada cents that have the same die gouge(?) behind the Queen and extending to the outer lettering. They were found about a month apart while coin roll hunting. The questions I have are: when is an error or mint damage considered a collectible error or variety (eg. Bugtail on the 1957 nickel or the extra waterline on the 1964 nickel)? Who determines this? From what I understand from my very limited knowledge (I'm brand new to coin collecting) some of these errors/varieties are from deteriorated or damaged dies. Is it the asthetics of the error? How would the two cents I'm displaying here rate?

Image[/img]
Where's the Heat! Where's the Passion!

mkb

Post by mkb » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:31 am

“When is an error or mint damage considered a collectible error or variety (eg. Bugtail on the 1957 nickel or the extra waterline on the 1964 nickel)? Who determines this?”

Ans: Everything ultimately starts with collectors. When collectors like an item and collect it, it becomes collectable. With the internet, you can post images of your find(s) like you did here. Then others become aware of it. As more and more collectors become aware of it and trade it more and more, it can eventually become a “mainstream” item such as the 1957 Bugtail variety. As to how your error variety would rate, that depends on the collector. Some collectors have little to no interest in varieties (even mainstream varieties) and other collectors have substantial interest in varieties. For variety collectors, your coins would probably rate very well.

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Nice find!

You know that your variety will worth something when you'll see his picture on Charlton or listed in Trend.

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Note : There are a lot of coins with error not listed and they worth something. But if you can find it in some publications, the price go up faster than Usain Bolt.

ikandiggit

Post by ikandiggit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks! I've only been collecting for a few months and finding errors and varieties is an area that really interests me. I realize how rare some of these are and that just makes the hunt that much more enticing. I appreciate the help and comments from members of the forum and enjoy seeing what others are coming across. I readily accept constructive criticism because I'm still not sure how commom some of the flaws I find are. I won't be offended if I post something and am told that it's really nothing. Thanks again for the responses.
Where's the Heat! Where's the Passion!

Sam Dvarackis

Re: Die Gouge on 2000 Canada Cents and Questions

Post by Sam Dvarackis » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:18 pm

I to am relatively unfamiliar with what makes a Coin error more or less desirable and have also recently found a error on a 2000-w penny. I bought this 2000-w while attempting to get all the small cent variants and now wonder if I need another 2000-w as this is its own error/variety.

crystallan

Re: Die Gouge on 2000 Canada Cents and Questions

Post by crystallan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:48 am

how are you

coach outlet,Coach Purses,Coach Handbags