1973 Canadian One Dollar Bills, Special Serial Number?

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
ajrollin

1973 Canadian One Dollar Bills, Special Serial Number?

Post by ajrollin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:44 am

Hello everyone!

I'm posting here for my first time because you all seem very knowledgeable, and knowledge is what I need at the moment.

I have a fair number of one dollar bills from the '70s, and judging from this site (http://coinsandcanada.com/banknotes-prices.php?banknotes=Canadian_banknotes_from_1969_to_1975&id_cat=17&id_denom=2), most of them aren't worth more than the numbers printed on them.

Some of the bills, however, do seem to be quite valuable, if my understanding is correct. They have the Lawson-Bouey signatures, and they have AA serial numbers between 5000000-9999999. This seems to indicate that these bills should be worth at least $300 depending on their condition—and I would say they are around very good to fine, though I don't know much about these things.

I am worried there's a catch. I notice that the site says it is the "replacement" bills that are worth the good money. Is there any way to tell if my bills are replacement bills? Are all bills with these serial numbers replacements?

If you have any more questions about the bills, feel free to ask. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you all!

Shylo

Re: 1973 Canadian One Dollar Bills, Special Serial Number?

Post by Shylo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:14 am

The note that is pictured above is a standard note with the prefix AA...

In the "multicoloured" series for $1 notes, replacements either had asterisk "*".

So the valuable notes in question would have a serial number like:

*AA7745406....

Unfortunately your note does not have the asterisk so it's not a rare replacement... hope that helps

ajrollin

Post by ajrollin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Thank you very much! That's exactly the information I needed. A little disappointing, but not too surprising to me.

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:10 pm

I'd recommend you picking up a Charlton paper money guide.. lotsa good information

Also if you're really into paper money go over to cdnpapermoney.com there's a LOT of great info over there including their SNDB which you can get access to as a member.. and membership is FREE