quick to judge ??

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
coineverything

quick to judge ??

Post by coineverything » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi, new to site.
Has anyone had any experiances with coin shops quickly evaluating your coins or banknotes, and dismissing anything they believe is "not worth anything" and then getting a low ball price ?

I recently sent some photos off to a few reputable coin dealers, of a 1838 1$ bank note from Harts Bank, Three Rivers Que. -chartered bank , to get a quik reply of "this is a remainder, and is worth $30 to $60 dollars to buy..

Now I know that they are not holding the note, feeling the paper, and seeing in person, which of course nobody would commit to anything they can not see in person, I get that. So I made a trip to a certification shop.. The person that looked at the note was very professional, and is doing some research for me , as he (not committing 100%) believes it is a unknown faceproof.

this is the second time this has happed to me, where I could have potentially missed out on a decent find.
A few years back, I brought a 1954 mod. 2$ banknote *R/R to a dealership, was offerd about $75.00 for it, so.. thinking about it, i got it certified the following week.
When i brought the same now certified note back to the dealer, was offerd $500.
I know it boils down to common sense and on my part, and doing the research, but has anyone else had similar experiances. Thoughts or Comments ?

Bill in Burl

Re: quick to judge ??

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:31 am

Whether it's coins or antiques or anything collectible ... NEVER accept an offer from the person that you asked to "evaluate" it. The only thing that you should get from them should be an estimate and then store that information into your grey matter.
Bill in Burl

coineverything

Re: quick to judge ??

Post by coineverything » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Great advice, Its been a few years now collecting banknotes, learning as much as possible, i found it was a nice change of pace from coins (still active coin collector).
Thanks Bill in Burl, I agree with you 100% , I wish i had more "grey matter" years ago. live and learn.
Thanks for the reply.