Bill grading question!!!

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
GBELEC

Bill grading question!!!

Post by GBELEC » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:34 pm

When looking at the value of paper bills on this web site to get the value shown do they need to be certified by a professional company or is that the value of uncertified notes. Example : 1923 25 cent note, Unc60 value would that be for a certified or uncertified note value????

papermoneyguy

Re: Bill grading question!!!

Post by papermoneyguy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 am

If you look at the Charlton Canadian Government Paper Money Catalogue
The prices listed are for raw banknotes
In my opinion a raw note or third party graded note should not differ in value since you should be buying the note not the slab
However that being said some collectors
Feel that a graded note has more value
Because someone else validated a notes
Condition in “their opinion” yet graders opinions will vary from company to company pricing that it is only a third parties opinion
I know sone collectors who will only buy raw notes that they can see and examine and others that buy only slabbed notes
Personally my preference is raw
You see touch and smell... yes smell the note
You would be surprised how many notes have been processed to make them more appealing to look at and in fact once a note is slabbed you won’t be able to smell
What may or may not have been done to a note
It has happened
Many times when a note doesn’t have an original ie EPQ designation one reason could be that it was processed in some way shape or form
I know people do tend to get notes slabbed to hopefully increase the notes value or saleability
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t
It’s all in what a person is comfortable buying and what a person feels it’s worth
My opinion as many others is
Buy the note NOT the slab

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:45 pm

Thanks papermoneyguy . Second Question Do you think grading standards are the same for all paper notes or it seems to me the older the note the more relaxed the standards, This is more possibly in non slabbed notes but looking at action sites or seeing notes at live shows "In My Oppinion" :D that seems to be the way But then I sure dont think of my self as someone that can grade currency . I'm a buy what i like and can afford kind of guy.

troubadour

Post by troubadour » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm

i sometime see certified banknotes removed from their holders for sell
banknotes in pictures always look better than with them in hands
i rarely buy banknotes on ebay for this reason

papermoneyguy

Post by papermoneyguy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Personally I do not believe that older notes
Are graded or should be graded any differently than newer notes with respect to a final grade (depending on the number of demerits a note may have) however that being said
Different series do have different issues
That should be taken into consideration
When grading
In older notes for example one may have rippling due to heavy inking which is fine and shows originality yet rippling on a polymer note would not be normal and would work against it
Polymer notes lose points due to scratches
In holographic windows yet older notes would not have this flaw since they do not have theses features
Or a notes embossing on older notes not existing on newer notes
There are many variations from Series to series so grading differs due to these differences
But in the end a notes grade is or should ok be determined by a number of factors
That are determined to be relevant for that series and determining what is a circulated or uncirculated note and to what degree

papermoneyguy

Post by papermoneyguy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I do agree that many times notes for sale on line can definitely look much better than once you see them in person
And for this reason I always tell people
To deal with people you can trust and people that offer a 100% return policy if you are not happy once you get the item
I think anyone who wants to keep there reputation will always make the customer happy and it’s only good business practice
That produces repeat customers
As a side note this is why some collectors
Only but TPG notes because they believe what the slab says and will be content with that opinion

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Like hearing different opinions, thanks for the reply’s . It’s just a observation and it might just be my lack of knowledge when it comes to grading. It truly is a art in my opinion and wish I had taken interest in this when I was younger and I like to think was able to retain information better.

papermoneyguy

Post by papermoneyguy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:59 am

I think everyone can reasonably grade a banknote if you take the time to understand What flaws to look for and what each series has to make it different
From others in respect to acceptable traits
But unless you have the note in hand a picture is never a good way to judge
The Charlton Canadian Government paper
Money catalogue has a detailed description
Of acceptable and unacceptable things
To look for when grading a banknote
And what causes a bill to lose value
Time patience practice
If you ever go to coin shows ask a dealer to show you why a note she/he has is grader the way it is... most will oblige and if not maybe they too are unsure of themselves
Or maybe over graded for a reason then only to give you a better deal by you thinking your getting a deal
Ask questions many collectors are more than willing to oblige
A prosperous hobby benefits us all
Good luck