1948 Canada Silver Dollar ICCS MS-62 Key Date

Post here if you want to sell, buy and/or trade.
dbcoins

1948 Canada Silver Dollar ICCS MS-62 Key Date

Post by dbcoins » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi There
I am offering a 1948 Canada Silver Dollar, ICCS graded MS-62. This is the "King" of the silver dollars with the lowest mintage ever (18,780). Graded MS-62 by the conservative ICCS. In my humble opinion, should be graded MS-63. This is THE KEY DATE for any Canada silver dollar collector. A superb addition to any advanced collector. Check it out for yourself if local. By the way, that spot on the forehead of George VI is on the holder, not the coin.
Asking $2,350 or B.O.
(Mississauga)
1948$1o1.jpg
1948$1o1.jpg (607.3 KiB) Viewed 10358 times
Fell free to contact me at beetnik1967@hotmail.com anytime if interested. NO DEALERS PLEASE.

cheers
Dan
1948$1o2.jpg
1948$1o2.jpg (657.27 KiB) Viewed 10358 times
Attachments
1948$1r1.jpg
1948$1r1.jpg (607.05 KiB) Viewed 10358 times
1948$1r3.jpg
1948$1r3.jpg (510.94 KiB) Viewed 10358 times

Bill in Burl

Re: 1948 Canada Silver Dollar ICCS MS-62 Key Date

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:56 pm

I won't offer my opinion on this(and why), buy "buyer beware".
Bill in Burl

dbcoins

Post by dbcoins » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:40 am

Same answer from my 1945 listing.....
Wow Bill. I bought this coin from a very reputable dealer in Gatewest Coins from Manitoba. I, living in the GTA personally visit with Scott & Brian from ICCS on occasion to grade and or reholder coins. Although I agree that they need to get with the tiimes & establish a website, they have been grading since the mid 80's and are respected more then anybody else in Canada. If you are suggesting this coin is a fake then this whole hobby be damned....cheating long time "reputable" dealers coupled by unqualified TPG in ICCS.
I have read some of your posts Bill. You seem to dominate this website & have a very high regard for your own opinion. Quite narcissistic. If you have all the answers & know better than Gatewest Coins & ICCS, why not start your own TPG service ? At the end of the day Bill, you have NO recognized credability, just your "there are communists under my bed" rhetoric.
If anybody is interested, I will guarantee this coin through any process YOU choose. You have nothing to lose dealing with me.

Cheers
Dan

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:53 am

The 1948 dollar is the most "copied" Canadian dollar by the Chinese and buyers need to be very sure of what they are buying. The me, the "I's" (that's "eyes, not "L's) on the Obverse are questionable, but the coin needs to be seen in-hand. The different shaped serifs on the I's are one of the markers the Chinese have on their dies.

I base my opinion on seminars/presentations by Mike Marshal on the ID'ing of Chinese fakes. He works arm-in-arm with the RCMP and Ebay/Paypal to remove fakes that show up on Ebay and other forums. He has removed thousands and thousands of Chinese and European fakes from the secondary market. His last presentation was a 2 1/2 hour seminar at the Canada National Coin and Stamp show 2 weekends ago in the GTA. They are getting very good at their craft and any buyer of UNC collectible coins needs to be on a solid footing. TPG's have been known to certify fake coins by not giving them the proper scrutiny and they are not immune.

Mike has CD's available for donation/purchase .. the money raised goes to purchasing more fake coins to expand the data base. You should pick one up.

BTW, I am a frequent visitor to this site because the English forum gets very little traffic. I have been an avid collector for 40 years and spend a great deal of time trying to provide information to other collectors. I work hard to make sure that newbies don't have to learn expensive lessons. If I hurt your feelings, I'm sorry, but forums are open for differing opinions and I gave mine.
Bill in Burl

momomomo

Post by momomomo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:14 am

Welcome to the disucssion board dbcoins!

You got great coins!
I hope I can afford one of these one day. 8) :D

dbcoins

Post by dbcoins » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks Momo. :)
Just to repeat what I said earlier, I stand behind everything I sell. If anybody is interested in anything I have for sale, you are more than welcome to see for yourself & if you know Bill in Burlington, bring him too!

cheers
Dan

dbcoins

Post by dbcoins » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:10 am

By the way Bill, I am fully aware of Mike Marshall & his efforts over the last 10 -15 years I believe. It took him a long time to get the RCMP on board & good for him for his efforts. In the case of this specific '48 Dollar, I personally had Brian (owner/ founder) at ICCS have a look to re-confirm after buying coin at the Brampton Coin Show & had him reholder for me while I was there, as the original holder had a slight tear at the fold.
If that doesn't lend legitimacy then we are ALL in trouble. Over & Out.......