Scarce moderns?

General discussions about canadian coins.
Immy

Scarce moderns?

Post by Immy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 am

Went to the largest annual coin show this weekend here in Las Vegas with a fairly short shopping list that included various dates from 2008-2013 for my Canadian Whitman folders, dimes and nickels mostly. Left without finding a single date among the dozens and dozens of dealers from all over the country. :-?

I asked at few sellers why this was, but they had no clue, and they asked me to let them know if I found any good sources in the room.

Are mintages down in the last five years? Haven't checked eBay yet but that's probably the best alternative...or the occasional Coinstar reject. :lol:

henrysmedford

Re: Scarce moderns?

Post by henrysmedford » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 am

I would say that at a show that it is not worth it for then to bring a coin that will sell just over face. You might post your short list and one of us might be able to help fill it. They can make more money on one gold coin the size of a dime than a roll of modern dimes.

verdigris

Post by verdigris » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Are mintages down in the last five years?

That's a good question. I can't speak for all denominations, but iirc where 5 cent pieces are concerned, I've come across only two 2013, and as of yet not a single 2014. I check all my change and occasionally roll search nickels and over the same period I found one unc grade 2000P in a roll and another as good as in change at the post office. Go figure. Of course this is anecdotal and could be entirely regional.

Cheers

Immy

Post by Immy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:02 pm

henrysmedford wrote:I would say that at a show that it is not worth it for then to bring a coin that will sell just over face. You might post your short list and one of us might be able to help fill it. They can make more money on one gold coin the size of a dime than a roll of modern dimes.

While it's true the high $$ value coins are the real reason dealers are there, they also regularly offer common coins for less than a dollar (in bargain bins, for example) for the small stuff collectors out there. A smart move, especialy in hard economic times like now. That made the absence of any new modern Canadians all the more puzzling. In fact, this year they had an area specially set aside for kids, and we know kids don't have much pocket money. :wink:

That's a good idea about asking board members to fill my missing dates. I'll put a request in the Sell, Buy, Trade section. Thanks!

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Immy:

I think you may be better off getting a bankers box of each denomination and searching it for the coins you're after... Chances will be pretty good you may actually get a few of what might be on your list in mint condition given most of the coins you're looking for are common issue and very recent.

With respect to what a dealer would bring to the show.. I would suspect that they are somewhat limited by size and weight contraints on what they can take to certain shows. If that was the case I would be much happier bringing the coins that is going to put the most cash in my pocket as possible. If you factor in travel, hotel, and table costs to go to a show, I'm surprised dealers make much money at all!

But saying that I don't think it would serve well to bring a lot of current issued coins that wouldn't derrive much better than FV ...

Immy

Post by Immy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:35 am

Those are good points Shylo, and in fact one dealer told me he had that exact dilemma about what stock to bring, and at the 11th hour opted to leave 30 boxes of moderns at home.

But I'm not despairing. We have smaller coin shows every couple of months and it's a matter of time before I fill the dozen or so holes. Just thought I had a better shot at the biggie annual.

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

I don't know if they have one on this site.. but there are other coin forums where you can also list your "want" list and people have it...

If you're in the states and you don't have access to bankers boxes... I will be doing some more coin roll hunting this summer when I have a bit of time on my hands... feel free to send me a PM if it's only certain dates... I would be happy to put 'em aside for you... if I can find 'em in decent condition..