specific cleaning of the devices?

General discussions about canadian coins.
JNOD

specific cleaning of the devices?

Post by JNOD » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 am

I grow ever more paranoid about what has been cleaned or not. I've seen several coins that looks as though, while they had not been immersed in some reducing agent, they had maybe been spot cleaned so as to make the devices stand out. that is, the recessed parts of the coin are toned but the cameo of Queen Victoria is much less so. Same applies to the lettering.

The result is nice to look at - you see the portrait of the queen and all the lettering shining bright against a darker backdrop. But cleaned is cleaned.... The attached images are sort of what I mean but I'm really thinking of a more extreme version (and I'm not saying that this specific coin has been cleaned - just trying to illustrate what I mean).

Thoughts? Is this a thing or am I imagining things...?
Attachments
s-l400-1.jpg
s-l400-1.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 4897 times
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 4897 times

GBELEC

Re: specific cleaning of the devices?

Post by GBELEC » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:24 pm

I think it all depends on if your a collector or a dealer. Do you want to make money at this hobby or do you just enjoy collecting . If you want to make money then stay away from anything you even think might be cleaned. If your collecting then collected what you think looks good. And once its yours you have every right to clean it or not( I know there are a lot of you out there shaking there heads at that statement) .
There was lots of talk about the George Cook collection and how he had possibly cleaned some Very valuable coins.
Its a good example of if there yours and your not looking to sell them for profit(Money i'm sure didn't mean much to him when they where sold) you can do what you want. I don't like the idea of chemical treatment of any coin , but a coin like you have as you example that was in lots of pockets and cash registers before if got in the hands of anyone that wanted to preserve it I don't think can be damaged much by a wiping with a soft cloth, ( please don't send me hate mail) Don't so much as touch any thing that still has some mint luster on it . That's my Idea and i hope it gets some replies ( I'm just a silly old man, Please go easy on me) :D :D

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:33 pm

Darn I thought i might get something going on the does and don'ts .
Some one out there must have advise thats better them mine

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:26 am

Well, for the record, I disagree. There is a limited stock of vintage coins out there. In a sense they're like the stock of art works from the past and they ought to be treated as such. The wear on a coin reflects the hands that have held it and the things it has bought - such a boring little everyday thing yet it's the connective fabric of all of our societies.

Cleaning a coin invariably damages it. There are some experts who various rinses that literally do nothing more than remove particles of dirt - that's different but most of us are not experts. Anything that adds wear if damage and should be avoided. Full stop. I think you are mistaken.

My question was about a very specific type of cleaning that I suspect (but don't know) is going on out there. The idea being to take the oxidation off of the high points of a coin so as to create greater contrast and thereby enhance eye-appeal to someone who is looking at the coin unaware. I'm curious to know whether I'm imagining things on this front.

I would be very interested in hearing an informed opinion on this.

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:38 am

Point taken. I sure don’t think of myself as any kind of a expert, and anyone that’s in to coin collecting should gather as much info as they can, from as meany sources as they can and then draw there own conclusions .
To your point of cleaning in away that would enhance the look of a coin . If anyone thinks they can make more money by doing such a thing they will.