collectors who sell coins.

General discussions about canadian coins.
JNOD

collectors who sell coins.

Post by JNOD » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:15 am

Hello Coin People,
I have a collection of around 200 coins at the moment and I'm contemplating selling around 140 of them; the idea being to use the proceeds to upgrade and expand on the 60 that are really in the areas I'm interested in. It's more about focusing the collection but of course the $$ would help.

None of these are hugely valuable - there are some relatively high grade though not especially scarce Canadian pennies (EFs and AUs; 1876 - 1902) as well as some silver pieces from the same era.

Two questions:

1. How to do it? Sell over eBay? Get a dealer else to do it? Trade/sell via a club (haven't joined one yet but thinking about it).

2. What sort of prices to expect? Trend? 60% trend? Carlton?

Thanks in advance....

momomomo

Re: collectors who sell coins.

Post by momomomo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:17 am

If you know collectors, the best thing to do is fair trades. Ebay fees/shipping are ridiculous when selling <$20 multiple times on multiple items. You can sell everything together, but expect lower sell price.

A dealer will give you 35% to 50% of expected sale price for your type of items and might refuse a lot of your coins. :cry:

If not certified, you can expect 40%/50% of books value.

up24ross

Post by up24ross » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Lots of good advice----

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Yes it is! I'm thinking that I might figure out what the most I can expect to bring in is and then decide whether it's worth it. It might make more sense just to donate all of it to the kid's table at Torex.....

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:20 pm

If you have an established coin club within a hour or so, I would try to sell them there. There's no tax, no shipping, no fees and they are all collectors looking for a good deal. Most clubs run a small auction during each monthly meeting. They also usually allow a seller to "set up a small shop" at a table for use before the meeting starts.

I would also recommend try to trade for something you want at a larger coin show .. one to one with other attendees or with dealers there. Good luck.
Bill in Burl

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Merci - lots of great advice here and yes, there are several clubs in the Toronto area not to mention a couple of regular shows.....