New Coin Collector ideas

General discussions about canadian coins.
Silverman

New Coin Collector ideas

Post by Silverman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:52 am

Good day all
I was thinking today that coin collecting seems to be a dying hobby for many; maybe Im wrong thats the feedback
I hear in Alberta.
Maybe there is some thing we can do to help others see the joy and challenges of Collecting coins, I for one love the thrill of the hunt and discovering new coins on a daily bases.
What are your thoughts?
Silverman

GBELEC

Re: New Coin Collector ideas

Post by GBELEC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 am

Truly could not say if there are less coin collectors then there use to be or not, But one thing i tried with a Grand nephew (7 year old) was putting a 1973 RCMP quarter in a 2x2 and made like it was a real special one , Told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it i would give him a dollar for it :P . Dont get to see him often but so far he hasnt come looking for the dolllar. :D

JNOD

Re: New Coin Collector ideas

Post by JNOD » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:18 am

I think it's important to keep some perspective on it. Maybe it's not what it used to be (people used to collect matchbooks once upon a time too) but dying strikes me as a little hyperbolic. There will always be some people out there who want to have these things. Important to do it for the right reasons - as a point of interest - as an enrichment to your life. It's fun and weirdly exciting to find that scarce little object and hold it in your hand. I've been thinking that since I was 10 years old and it hasn't gotten old.

Also, wow - ebay...how much of it is coins and stamps????