Some concerns about an online auction. Overthinking this?

General discussions about canadian coins.
Coin

Some concerns about an online auction. Overthinking this?

Post by Coin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 pm

Hi all.
New guy here, not new to Canadian Numismatics.
I won't link to the auction itself, but long story short... Its a 1925 Nickle claiming to be a MS62. Problem is, its clearly a circulated coin in the holder and when you compare the coin in the auction with the coin NGC has pictured on the website as being associated with that serial number...

https://imgur.com/tseYT48

My guess is a fake label using a valid serial number and what is clearly not the same coin... These things are apparently readily available on the darknet.

bidderdown

Re: Some concerns about an online auction. Overthinking this?

Post by bidderdown » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:57 pm

some auctions know what they are selling as to real or fakes or i can take a good picture thats why buyer beware is quoted or as is where is food for thought good for u for checking out .

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:32 am

But the coin, not the holder - as long as you look at what's actually inside the plastic then you'll generally be okay - at least as regards fraudulently slabbed coins. The actual forgeries are a bigger problem.

troubadour

Post by troubadour » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:03 pm

i'm not a fan of ngc canadian graded coins. they're making mistakes here and there all the time

Dartviking

Post by Dartviking » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:35 pm

I don't touch NGC at all, i used to buy the nicer ones and break them out of their holders and get re-graded, but not worth the hassle and I did not want to support such terrible graders..........