Help grading - New Member

General discussions about canadian coins.
Rbt2

Help grading - New Member

Post by Rbt2 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:24 am

Hi members,
Glad to be on board as a new member. I'm currently trying to determine the value of my circulation coin set and hope you can help me out with a question. Back in the 1980's I purchased "PL Sets - Proof-like" Sealed inside transparent plastic films. Then I cut around each coin and placed them inside cardboard flip coin holder without cutting the plastic film. Now I'm having a bit of trouble trying to asses the value of each of these coins using this website as a guide to give me a general idea. I have three choices: Circulated, Uncirculated, and PL. The value of each coin seems unrealistic, for instance under the "PL" heading, PL-67 for each denomination each coin would go for $20-$40, and under the "Uncirculated' tab each coin would go for over $100, while the sets in these plastic films have a value around just under $20 that contain 6 coins. I know these coins never circulated and on the cardboard description that came with these coins it says "your uncirculated coins" and " this set contains one coin of each denomination issued for general circulation in Canada". I'm thinking these are really AU-50 coins under the heading "Circulated", even though they did not go into circulation? : https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-pr ... -1990-2003

Thanks for your help,
Rob

Bill in Burl

Re: Help grading - New Member

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:41 am

PL coins will always sell for much much less than circulated coins in the same "apparent" condition. EVERY coin that the RCM issued in the plastic will be 65 or a little above and every one of them went into a drawer or box or album untouched by hands. As such, there are many more of the coins than there are collectors. A coin that was minted for circulation would be lucky to even get to 65, let alone above that. Hence, they are much more scarce in the higher grades and sell for more. PL coins may look nice to the eyes, but very little value is ever added because of condition. Your coins are NOT AU-50 .... they are PL 6x's.
Bill in Burl

Rbt2

Post by Rbt2 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:42 am

Thanks Bill, this is very helpful. So assuming they are in exactly the same condition as when they were purchased, which they are, and never touched and removed from their plastic films, and are PL-6x, would they be more like PL-65 or even PL-66? There is a very big difference in their monetary value if PL-65 or PL-66. I'm trying to figure this out before I try to sell my whole album. From what you said they are at least PL-65 and certainly would not be PL-67.

Rob

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:53 am

Without seeing coins in hand, it is nearly impossible to grade a coin between 63-66 accurately. Even though prooflike and struck on good dies, it can get slight mars, scratches and dings just coming out of the machinery, them through the counters and into the bin to be packaged. I, personally, can't accurately grade a coin on a computer screen, with good photography, once over 62. I wouldn't count on you having much above 65, but who knows? Post a couple shots here and someone will chime in. Or try the Coin Community Forums for Canadian coins, nicknamed the CCF. Good luck.

https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-se ... =1965-1989
Last edited by Bill in Burl on Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Burl

Rbt2

Post by Rbt2 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:08 am

That's great, I'll take that they are PL-65 and this helps a lot. Also appreciate the quick replies. :)

Cheers,
Rob

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 pm

I wouldn't say anything about considering them as MS-65's. They could just be 60 or so. You can't tell without grading them. As I said, do not take any "book" price as what they may be worth. For P/L coins, they may only be worth 20% of what's listed. A book price and "value" are 2 different entities. If you are going to keep them yourself, just put whatever you want on the holder/album. DON'T pay to have them graded!
Bill in Burl

TBH

Post by TBH » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:20 pm

PL sets from the 1980s are always available on eBay for $5-$10
Why on earth would you think any single ungraded coin would be worth more than a whole set?
Price guides and catalogues for these type of coins are absolutely irrelevant.

Jim J

Post by Jim J » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:32 pm

Although PL-65 is common in the sets there are exceptions Cameo - Heavy Cameo - Ultra Heavy Cameo coins demand better premium's than normal PL-65. The higher the grade the higher the value to some collectors as well as eye appeal. After 1968 not many sets are worth much unless its a variety set some of them demand huge premiums good luck post some pictures if unsure of something.
Happy Hunting