Does ICCS list varieties

General discussions about canadian coins.
CanuckCoinGirl

Does ICCS list varieties

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Sat May 21, 2022 2:12 pm

I have been looking at a graded coin and the seller lists a variety being present - the image is good, but I don't think contains the variety from what I see. This year and coin does have a variety listed in Charlton, C&C etc, but I am wondering why it isn't on the coin ICCS Comment card. Since it isn't, I assume the actual coin isn't one of the varieties. Any thoughts? Do the comment cards sometimes lack this information?

TBH

Re: Does ICCS list varieties

Post by TBH » Sat May 21, 2022 9:50 pm

What year denomination and variety is it?

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 pm

It's an 1899 1cent - but the seller indicated it has a double punch 9. The ICCS comment card does not list it. It seems that the ICCS comments on things like Far 6, colour etc.. So a common variety, and the image does not instantly jump out at me as a double punch, but it may be. Regardless, if it is a double punch, it seemed odd to me that the ICCS did not list it.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon May 23, 2022 6:33 am

I think that you have to initially request that the variety be listed when you submit it and pay extra to acknowledge the variety. Unless ICCS has changed their workings, they will normally list a "recognized" variety from a respected source if so asked. Maybe they've changed. A variety "listed" on CaC doesn't fit the bill.
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue May 24, 2022 12:55 pm

Thank you!
I can see why a CaC listing isn't going to be a source, but had thought a double punch would automatically be a comment. If it is a fee for comment, I get now why it might not be listed! This is useful as, I could imagine other graded coins just not having all details in the comments area, although I had anticipated they would. Others had, so it was just not ever something I thought about before!