New Canadian gold coins?

General discussions on RCM Products.
peterpancoin

New Canadian gold coins?

Post by peterpancoin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm thinking of collecting some new Canadian gold coins as a hobby as well an investment. So I took a look at their gold coins section and came up with the following criteria: mintage < 2500 and price <$2000. I guess the low mintage will get more value over time. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Bill in Burl

Re: New Canadian gold coins?

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Just make sure that you pay as close to scrap that you can and know how to covert from grams and grains to % of troy ounces ... the RCM puts out some very small coins for a huge mark-up. I would suggest that you buy things on the secondary market rather than from the mint or post office.... you will save appreciably. If you are going to collect, the "low" mintages will really not mean anything .. it is all essentially bullion with a pretty and expensive dress on. The collector interest in them is very very small ... even the smallest of mintages may have supply far outweighing demand. If you are looking at purchasing gold as an investment for future inflationary periods, there are much better ways to do that than buying RCM coins.
Bill in Burl