removal from pliofilm, taboo? or personal choice?

General discussions on RCM Products.
cdn.mpl.bcn

removal from pliofilm, taboo? or personal choice?

Post by cdn.mpl.bcn » Sat May 26, 2018 6:46 am

Heres a question i'd like answered.

I find alot of coins in great condition online either in a small chunk of pliofilm or completely removed from an RCM set, I own 2 coins that were removed from a set. It doesn't bother me at all in fact I like the quality of these coins and i have them in 2x2 holders. Since some of these sets are so cheap, whats your opinion? how would you feel about selling yours knowing that might be done? if something like this catches on, won't the value increase?

I brought this up to a local collector and he got upset, he doesnt even collect PL-BU sets from the RCM. I mean I love history and theres value in preserving the packaging and even more value to someone who likes the complete sets but hey, my opinion...im considering buying a set or two for the 50c and 25c coin...REMOVING THEM and selling the remainders.

i guess the negative implication for specific collectors is that there are people putting these PL-BU coins into circulation right? and are mint set coins included in the overall sum of minted coins for that year?
THIS....this IS the show!

Bill in Burl

Re: removal from pliofilm, taboo? or personal choice?

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat May 26, 2018 8:07 am

I see no problem .. if you own something, you can do with it what you want. My personal opinion is that the vast vast majority (did I say vast strong enough?) of anything that the RCM puts out is numismatically worthless and severely overpriced. If you want to collect RCM crapola, that's fine .. but wait 3-5 years after issue and pick up the items from the secondary market for 50-60% of issue price. The only thing that is a bargain from the RCM is their $$ for $$ program and the 5 or 10-packs of new issue circulating coins postage free.
Bill in Burl

cdn.mpl.bcn

Re: removal from pliofilm, taboo? or personal choice?

Post by cdn.mpl.bcn » Sat May 26, 2018 10:15 am

Im not interested in moderns without silver, but i do like the quality of coins in the older PL sets pre 67 :) i also like silver maple leafs if you can get em at spot
THIS....this IS the show!