2018 Proof Loon

General discussions on RCM Products.
Breare

2018 Proof Loon

Post by Breare » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:12 am

I have 3 Different Proof Loons dated 2018. The first is the painted Loon from the painted proof set, purportedly a gold plated silver coin. No Issue with it. The second is the brass plated base metal (probably nickel) from the silver dollar proof set in which the only silver coin was the Captain Cook commemorative dollar. It is attracted to a magnet, just as it is supposed to be. No Issue with this one either.
The third is supposed to be a gold plated silver loon from the premium proof set from that year in which all the coins are silver. It is not attracted to a magnet, telling me that it's not an example from the less expensive silver dollar proof set. The issue I have with it is that the plating is not the rich gold colour of the rest of the gold plated loons. It is, instead, identical in colour to the brass plated loons of recent years.
Can anyone shed some light on this apparent anomaly?

Breare

Re: 2018 Proof Loon

Post by Breare » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:28 am

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4652068-006/70/

I was surprised to find that I had the above coin in my possession. Though the picture quality leaves something to be desired, the coin has the distinct yellow cast of brass as opposed to the lustre of gold and it is not magnetic.