WW1 Battlefront Series Error coin ?

General discussions on RCM Products.
Dollorama

WW1 Battlefront Series Error coin ?

Post by Dollorama » Fri May 28, 2021 8:27 am

This coin was a gift from my wife in 2017. I was new to the coin community and I am still learning the terms and the million other things. I started to look at my coin and realize that it was gilded completely front and back. After doing a bit of research and contacting the RCM, the RCM told me that they did not produce the fully gilded coin. I googled and found absolutely nothing except one which was partly gilt. Any help or opinion would be appreciated. If I forgot anything feel free to contact me.
Attachments
Somme1.jpg
Somme1.jpg (64.69 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
Somme2.jpg
Somme2.jpg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 6797 times

coinguy

Re: WW1 Battlefront Series Error coin ?

Post by coinguy » Fri May 28, 2021 10:37 am

It is not uncommon to have an aftermarket supplier gold plate commemorative coins both here and in the USA.
Sometimes they just plate part of the coin and then sell them at a premium. They even colourize some coins.
I guess as long as there is a market, they will continue to do it.

Dollorama

Post by Dollorama » Sat May 29, 2021 9:17 am

Many thanks for your input. I still find that odd that I can't find any photo of it anywhere.

Cheers

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue May 24, 2022 1:26 pm

Is it gilded, or could it have a full toning - front and back. Toning that covers a coin can make a silver coin look gold, but it has a slightly different gold tone than real gold. If you have something to compare it to, you may have more information. The capsules are not always completely airtight, and where they are stored can also cause toning. Some types of wood storage boxes can apparently cause faster toning too.