Ships Colonies & Commerce

General discussions about canadian tokens and medals.
Summitlaw

Ships Colonies & Commerce

Post by Summitlaw » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:08 am

Found this token in an old coin collection. Appears to have a single mint mark, but there is wear at point second mint mark could have been. Worth having this token certified? Looks to be a Lees -24. Thanks for any suggestions.
Attachments
IMG_3283.jpeg
IMG_3283.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 8025 times
IMG_3285.jpeg
IMG_3285.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 8025 times
IMG_3286.jpeg
IMG_3286.jpeg (710.38 KiB) Viewed 8025 times

momomomo

Re: Ships Colonies & Commerce

Post by momomomo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:33 pm

Hello and welcome! I see a die cut at the mizzen-sail near the flag. Could be PE-10-33. :Rechercher: :D

Summitlaw

Post by Summitlaw » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:14 pm

Thank you. I see the dye cut (pretty obvious, now that I look)--and assume this is a round ampersand. You may well be correct about designation (I hope!).

The coin was in a small, fairly random collection I got from my dad, who got it from his father. This token has been sitting in storage since the early 1920s. I am now retired and liquidating the collection. Live in the US (Minnesota). Wondering whether this is a token enough buyers would appreciate on eBay, or whether I should try to access a more directly knowledgeable and appreciative group of Canadian buyers. Is there an active market for these tokens? Must the token be certified to sell at market, or are there sophisticated buyers of this token who can buy "as is"? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I am feeling my way through things. I believe this token might be the most meaningful coin/token in the little collection. Thanks again for your prompt response.

tormedic

Post by tormedic » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:40 am

Good Day Sir;

I would agree based on what I am seeing its a PE-10-24, their is a good tool on this site for these coins, I will assume you used it like I did. AS for market value and selling grading only in the end truly verifies that grade / value of the coin.

Because its graded by a third party its still only an educated opinion. Raw or graded people like me love these tokens and have them in there collection in both conditions.

steve