Wonderful hobby of World Paper Money

General discussions about foreign numismatic.
CanuckCoinGirl

Re: Wonderful hobby of World Paper Money

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:48 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience and your notes. 8) 8)
I admit that I am partial to Canada's notes, with their colours and interesting stories, but I do appreciate the coloured notes of other places. I lived in the USA for a while and people were clearly not aware how annoyed I was at hearing how our money looked like Monopoly money - "Yes, it does look colourful - far more beautiful than just green." I love watching movies/TV and seeing Bank of Canada notes used.

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:55 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience and your notes
-It's great to know a few people appreciate seeing & learning about other's grading experiences. Since branching into world currency & registering in many forums, I was a little taken aback by so many negative opinions on TPG. I know it is expensive but it really does take a lot of guess work out of the value once you decide to sell (or even keep). I wasn't a fan of TPG at first either but after I wanted some BoC 1935 (& other expensive notes) I realized that TPG was the only way to go (a no-brainer). My experience with the some of my notes from the Philippines actually drive this point home even more since they were UNC but pressed!
I lived in the USA for a while and people were clearly not aware how annoyed I was at hearing how our money looked like Monopoly money - "Yes, it does look colourful - far more beautiful than just green."
The larger the country the higher the chances you will meet people who just aren't informed, don't care, or a combo of the 2. I've actually met few people who care about coins & fewer who care about their banknotes. I so often see comments (on other forums) about "how colourful world money" is. I've read a lot of condescending opinions re: other nation's currency but I'm actually happy about these shortsighted opinions. You see, at one time, US collectors accounted for as many collectors as all other nation's collectors combined. This has changed a little (ie more Asian/Indian collectors now) but generally American collectors still outnumber us & most other collectors. They essentially drive the CDN & World currency markets. Their interest in Canadian banknotes is one of the reasons the 1954 Devil's Face are so expensive. (Plus they know Bank of Canada notes are anywhere from 1/100 to 1/10,000 less common). So, the longer they remain oblivious to other countries, the less demand, which = cheaper world notes! YEAH! Its one of the reasons I started collecting world (they're so incredibly inexpensive in UNC!) No need to buy circulated notes either!

Here's a modern day rarity. This 20 Euro was printed by TDLR in England but issued in Portugal. They're really hard to come by & so long as Americans don't care, the price will remain fairly accessible:
Attachments
Euro_P3m_20E.jpeg
Euro_P3m_20E.jpeg (211.99 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Euro_P3m_20E_r.jpeg
Euro_P3m_20E_r.jpeg (206.52 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:37 am

The above 20 Euros came back with a PMG UNC 66 EPQ grade! That was a huge relief as I paid a small premium for this note (which seems like a bargain now with the assigned grade!)

I have shared my PMG submission results below.
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... mg-results
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes