Dime with end roll end markings.

Dave B

Dime with end roll end markings.

Post by Dave B » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:37 pm

I have a few of these dimes and have collected them over the years...I thought at first it was created by some guy in a shed with issues but having thought about these anomalies for some years I thought maybe ...I could be wrong...that since the dimes of various years all had markings on the reverse only that these scratches could possibly be markings during the rolling process. Possibly something at the end of the roll while being packaged (rolled) into the mint casings...I'm no expert but some of these I have collected over the past 30 or so years of either the guy in the shed is still crazy or I'm way off the mark...opinions anyone?
Attachments
Coins _3470 2.jpg
Coins _3470 2.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4540 times
Coins _3484 2.jpg
Coins _3484 2.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 4540 times
Coins _3517 4.jpg
Coins _3517 4.jpg (926.01 KiB) Viewed 4540 times

coinguy

Re: Dime with end roll end markings.

Post by coinguy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:44 pm

The lines were not caused by the rolling process or from being on the end of a roll. A coin wrapping machine leaves a mark closer to the rim.
The first and third picture because of the inconsistency of the rings look like deliberate damage. The second picture outer rings MAY have been caused by some sort of vending machine but I'm not sure what caused the marks in the middle.

momomomo

Post by momomomo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Yep! :)

Vending machines and payphones
https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-ar ... ror&id=427

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:19 pm

The payphone or vending machine theory seems very plausible since I have too many to be anything but some sort of mechanical malfunctioning machine. (vending, phone or other) What is interesting is that some of these seem to have a screw mark in the centre of the coin...Dimes it seems are the only coins that makes sense with the payphone theory...I know a retired Bell executive and I will pass the question on to him...I have no pennies, no nickels and I'll have to look again to see if I have any quarters with this pattern...I don't believe I do...winter is coming on so I'll be looking though my treasures (junk mostly) to see if any more denominations manifest themselves...P.S. I don't remember seeing the grading section on Coinsandcanada site..but can say I found this very helpful indeed. Good on whomever worked on this section.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:17 pm

Parking meters?
Bill in Burl