Dies and production runs of canadian coins.

oldplugnickel

Dies and production runs of canadian coins.

Post by oldplugnickel » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:34 am

According to the holy grail. A recorded number of coins produced for a 1962 Canada 10 cent coin is : 41,864,335 or ?
Now. Can anyone tell me how many die changes were made on the obverse side and the reverse side during the time it took from start of production to end. Dates would be interesting. Now divide number of coins by the number of dies used and there would be an average number. Yes,No? Now all I am saying is if I had a so called " die flaw" coin does that mean that would be the only one ever punched with a die flaw? Look around there may be more. because I do not think that the operator missed one defective punch and changed the die for the next punch.

Bill in Burl

Re: Dies and production runs of canadian coins.

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:53 am

By getting the number of dies used from the RCM (good luck) and dividing it into the total mintage, you can get an "average" of how many coins each die produced. But, most dies are not controlled by an average. Some dies may have produced well less than 100,000 coins and some may have produced a million or many more. Say a die supposedly produced 200,000 coins, but a die chip started at strike # 25,000. Those 25K would be good, but then the chip spreads and gets bigger and bigger for the next 100,000 so that this 100K lot would show "progressive anomalies" as it grew and grew. Say at the 150K mark, the die chip stared a die crack that grew longer and longer and wider. The last 50K coins would again have a different "progressive damage" indication. So from the same die, you would get 25,000 perfect coins, all alike and then 175K coins with varying degrees of mintage problems.

I collect Vicky Large Cent Varieties and, for 1859, there were about 220 dies used. By taking actual random samples of coins picked up, there were 3-4 of us that, collectively, estimated that some of the dies produced less than 20,000 coins and some produced 80,000 or more so averages mean nothing when examining things. At one time, I had over 1,000 1859's and others did as well, so random was close to "random".
Bill in Burl

SP67

Re: Dies and production runs of canadian coins.

Post by SP67 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:32 pm

Maybe this link will help to answer your question:

https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-ar ... ics&id=532