Looking For Images Of Date 1943 Double Die 3

Rick Stachowski

Looking For Images Of Date 1943 Double Die 3

Post by Rick Stachowski » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:59 am

I just purchased this coin and need a better image of the date . The one on the site isn't to good . When I receive the coin, I'll take new images of the date, had to crop this image from the original image . Image

Bill in Burl

Re: Looking For Images Of Date 1943 Double Die 3

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:39 pm

O forwarded your request on to the 50 cent guru. As soon as he is acceptted as a member here, hel'll answer.
Bill in Burl

Rick Stachowski

Post by Rick Stachowski » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks Bill ...

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:48 pm

I just put this on the other site where you posed the question: Here is what PGinRH had to say, because he hasn't been OK'd on here yet:

""The term 'Double Die' as used by ICCS is a result of a Charlton definition to denote a reverse or obverse that had a doubled letter or number on it. There are over 20 1943 reverses that have a double or triple punched 3 that fit this definition. I have seen several being used on ICCS holders. Several of these were 3/3s can be found in the Variety section of Charlton's 68th.

'Double Die' is somewhat confusing as it is close to 'Doubled Die', but they mean two different things ….… 'Doubled Die' refers to a die with hub-doubling."

Paul has written the complete bible for 50 cents and it was his work that was in the Charlton variety section, but Charlton can't put everything in those 50-60 pages at the back. Paul has everything and can tell you exactly what you have. I'll give you his email. Send me a PM. B
Bill in Burl

Rick Stachowski

Post by Rick Stachowski » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Heres a couple of full shots, thats again Bill . Image Image

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:12 am

As Bill said Paul is THE guy on George VI 50 cent coins!

To me this looks like a 1943 3/3/3

Certainly hope he also becomes a member here I'd love to hear more of what he has to say...

I remember the first hoof through '46 I posted on another site he then pointed out a number of other small clashes my coin should have and from then on I just love listening to the guy.

Once again Bill I'm always impressed at who you know and how well you know 'em... I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you're at a show!

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:31 am

Come to the Coin Expo in T.O. early next month and enjoy a few brews with all of us.
Bill in Burl

Rick Stachowski

Post by Rick Stachowski » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:09 am

Shylo wrote:As Bill said Paul is THE guy on George VI 50 cent coins!

To me this looks like a 1943 3/3/3

Certainly hope he also becomes a member here I'd love to hear more of what he has to say...

I remember the first hoof through '46 I posted on another site he then pointed out a number of other small clashes my coin should have and from then on I just love listening to the guy.

Once again Bill I'm always impressed at who you know and how well you know 'em... I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you're at a show!

Bill in Burl wrote:Come to the Coin Expo in T.O. early next month and enjoy a few brews with all of us.

Thanks for stopping by Bill & Shylo . I could sent it into ICCS for grading and attributing, when I receive the coin too ?

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:08 pm

My personal take on getting something graded is.. that I prefer the raw coin... (that's just me) I wouldn't really care about getting this graded unless you're thinking of selling..

My justification for getting something graded is that the cost of grading the coin is within 5-10% of the total cost of the coin... (and I don't usually buy those types of coins)..

Or I'm getting in on a good deal... sometimes ICCS has a deal where if you submit around 100 coins you can get them graded for $8 - $10 per coin...

And just recently I asked my LCS if/when he sends in his coins if I could piggy back on his corporate discount.. and he was good with that so I now could send in just one coin for $10 and that will include shipping and insurance...

(just some things for you to consider)

As for keeping it raw.. most of my coins are raw in my albums and I like the 2x2 presentation (they fall out a whole lot less than in the pockets made for graded coins)

Also for some reason I just love writing on the 2x2 myself and the attribution... I day dream that some day my grading skills will be as good as say Bob Armstrong's and my writing will become as well known...

(a kid can dream right?)

All depends on how you like to store your coins in the end... it's a great coin though... and this exact variety was the first one Paul sent me.... and what got me hooked into the George VI varieties!

Rick Stachowski

Post by Rick Stachowski » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Shylo wrote:My personal take on getting something graded is.. that I prefer the raw coin... (that's just me) I wouldn't really care about getting this graded unless you're thinking of selling..

My justification for getting something graded is that the cost of grading the coin is within 5-10% of the total cost of the coin... (and I don't usually buy those types of coins)..

Or I'm getting in on a good deal... sometimes ICCS has a deal where if you submit around 100 coins you can get them graded for $8 - $10 per coin...

And just recently I asked my LCS if/when he sends in his coins if I could piggy back on his corporate discount.. and he was good with that so I now could send in just one coin for $10 and that will include shipping and insurance...

(just some things for you to consider)

As for keeping it raw.. most of my coins are raw in my albums and I like the 2x2 presentation (they fall out a whole lot less than in the pockets made for graded coins)

Also for some reason I just love writing on the 2x2 myself and the attribution... I day dream that some day my grading skills will be as good as say Bob Armstrong's and my writing will become as well known...

(a kid can dream right?)

All depends on how you like to store your coins in the end... it's a great coin though... and this exact variety was the first one Paul sent me.... and what got me hooked into the George VI varieties!

I guess I should of said it different, to me its all about the variety of " 3 " it is . Thats the only reason for wanting to grade it . I'm not so interested in the grade, more the variety of " 3 " ..

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:39 pm

I have maybe 5000 Vicky Large Cents and not a single one is TPG'd.... I see no value in getting them cert'd. I also think that I know the varieties better than any of the TPG's.
Bill in Burl

Shylo

Post by Shylo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Rick:

If it's only to attribute the 3/3/3... my best advice is to do it yourself on a 2x2... unless this coin is a real gem, PCGS top grade I think has a 63 wide date 3/3. So if you thought yours was a 63-64 I would then send it in.

edit:

Bill I would LOVE to go to a show anywhere in T.O. but with two little ones under 3.. unless it's work/coaching related I just don't leave the family... I really don't have the money for the travel nor do I like being away from the family for too many days...

But if I ever go east you Would definitely be one of the first people I would like to contact

Rick Stachowski

Post by Rick Stachowski » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:10 am

We have are local ANA show coming up in November and its only 4 miles from my house . Mr. Potter will be there and I know him very well and we live in the same neighborhood too ..

Rick Stachowski

Post by Rick Stachowski » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:27 am

Paul sent me that info last night . He said to check R444d and look for the clashes in the crown or polish marks to get rid of them . Otherwise it will be a new discovery, if neither things are there . Thanks again everybody for the help ...

Rick Stachowski

Post by Rick Stachowski » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:05 pm

I just checked the coin for clashes in the crown, or polish marks to get rid of them .
Its as clean as a whistle ... Image