1987 Olympic $100 gold coin error no lettering

LMD

1987 Olympic $100 gold coin error no lettering

Post by LMD » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 am

I'm posting this hoping to find somebody that knows anything more than I can find out about this coin. It's well known that the entire 10 coin selection that was the $20 1988 Olympics where the writing around the rim wasn't on every coin and thereby making it a mule and quite expensive the last time I saw it. I didn't believe that a gold example would escape quality control because these things the minute they're struck they're basically picked up with a gloved quality control person that would inspect each and every coin for perfection. I can only imagine that the person was distracted in that process I'm not sure because given their grade 69 or 70 on the Sheldon scale I could imagine they scrapped quite a few of them. Long story short I have one without lettering. I found two that are graded across all of the sites and it's almost 35 years. I started out trying to find a second one for my twin son they both like collecting the same thing. Doesn't seem like that's going to be an option so I would Love to entertain prices that I should listed at I mean that's three that's a very low number of coins. And it's been quite a long time. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you Larry

LMD

Re: 1987 Olympic $100 gold coin error no lettering

Post by LMD » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:45 am

I wanted to add my email if that's possible this is a situation I'd like to straighten out if I can't find a second one then I'd likely just sell the first one and buy two with lettering. Even those are quite expensive I can't imagine what price would be attached to such a coin that is almost impossible thinking about it to make it out of the mint. Obviously working in the gold department security is utmost so any opinions would be greatly appreciated any interest would be entertained I really think whoever adds anything to this because it's a topic I'm really having a hard time fighting information on larrymicheald7@gmail.com I wish to thank everybody who helps in any way

john1000

Re: 1987 Olympic $100 gold coin error no lettering

Post by john1000 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:49 am

Edged lettering are applied at the very end of production in a separate process, a couple large dealers and remember seeing one in a sale many years ago. Dealers are asking too much for their examples, for what ever reasonig there is very little love for Olympic coins most end up in a melt bucket, hope this help this is not a mule but just missing edge lettering