New and need advise

Post your pictures here if you want grades opinions.
Lar

New and need advise

Post by Lar » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:28 pm

I inherited a coin collection from my 95 year old mother who is still doing well god bless her!

A lot of the coins go back as far as 1911.
Can someone direct me to somebody who can appraise and evaluate my collection!
Also what should I expect for a cost for such a service? I might be interested in selling just a bit confused what to do.
Also a little info on the process as I would not want to let them out of my site.
I have coins from silver Dollars to pennies.

I live in Edmonton.

Bill in Burl

Re: New and need advise

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:38 am

I would suggest that you go to a book store and get a copy of either Charlton's or Haxby's guide to Canadian coins. If you can find one on Ebay or a used book store, they do not need to be most recent copies. Either will give you a thumbnail guide to grading and the scarcity of some coins. Here is a recent thread on another coin site to help you with some questions:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=394305

And here is a subsection of another coin site that will give you some very good info, especially if you search the whole larger forum.:
https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

And here's a grading guide:
http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles.html
Last edited by Bill in Burl on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Burl

Lar

Post by Lar » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:58 am

Thank you Bill for the info. Sounds like I have a lot of work to do.

Jim J

Post by Jim J » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:20 am

I agree with others get familiar with coins what their worth study the grade system a bit before you decide on pricing on coins. To have someone estimate and grade your coins ( I believe ) is around $85.00 an hour Canadian

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:54 am

Lar .... It's really not "work". It is just to give you a little familiarity with coins and the grading & selling process. As Jim says above, it gets fairly pricey to have someone come and price or evaluate your coins. You need to have a general idea of what is saleable and what is not and that's what the guide or pricing website will somewhat give you. Prices in books or websites are generally about 50%, maybe a little less, what a dealer or experienced seller will give you and you MAY be able to sell to other collectors for maybe 60-70% of what's in the book. As a rule of thumb, do NOT sell your coins to the appraiser when he arrives to look at them. Read through the thread from the other website for some more do's and don'ts. And also remember that any silver coins have a nice "scrap silver" value and you shouldn't sell them for less than $20 Canadian for each face dollar. Collector value will be higher than scrap silver value.
Bill in Burl

Techmoe

Post by Techmoe » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi Lar
Please feel free to reach out to us. If you have a list we don’t mind having a look.

We buy/sell a lot on a consistent basis (online/retail) and it can be very overwhelming if you don’t have the experience. We have a good idea of what sells and for how much in today’s market. We’re in the GTA.

It wouldn’t be a too in depth review but no cost. Can try help you understand based on you collection what is face, bullion, numismatic, retails. Any information provided is our option and data reflects our selling/buying experiences.

elitecoin0601@outlook.com

Cheers
Moe