Viola Desmond bank bundle

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
Post Reply
leighfollestad
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:04 pm

Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by leighfollestad » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:09 am

Hi guys. I'm looking buying a bank bundle of 100 of these. But the auction says that the numbers are not consecutive. Does that make sense to anyone? Why wouldn't they be consecutive?

User avatar
CanuckCoinGirl
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:45 am

Depends how it is listed, and also who may be auctioning it off. Bundle just means a batch put together and (usually) wrapped. Original bundles come in consecutive sequence, and have a bank seal on them. Purchasing one that is not in sequence can mean a few things. The bundle may have been created from multiple bundles as a collector went through pulling out radars, special numbers etc, and not be an original bundle. This could mean some bills are just missing or had other bills with the same prefix combined to give 100 bills. But it can also mean that the bundle is a collection of mixed prefix numbers, all the way to some may have been circulated.

how a consecutive series is often listed:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265597459052?ha ... SwvqNiMTy1 (ugly)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265609474111?ha ... Swmf9iOtV7

and a Viola Desmond sealed:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265609474111?ha ... Swmf9iOtV7

Nota_phil
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by Nota_phil » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:30 pm

Just ask the seller (what happened with the bundle?) The most important thing is that they're Choice UNC (or better) & have no scratches on the polymer (if you want to collect them).

However, as @CanuckCoinGirl mentioned it may mean that the bundle (100 notes) in question was put together by different runs (sequences) from other bundles. I searched many when they first came out in 2018 (& many of the 2017 commemorative series) & discovered that there would be small to large gaps in the serial numbers. It was frustrating as I was hunting for radars (or repeaters) & often the sequence would end abruptly just before the point where I'd expect the special # should be. These were from sealed bricks & not tampered with prior to my inspection.

If the seller tells you that they came from different bundles you may want assurances that they weren't handled a lot & are in UNC condition (you may want to ask for a photo or scan of some of the notes).

Later, we (collectors) understood that there were no insert replacements & the printers would eliminate sheets that were defective (thus the missing serial numbers). This is why when the BOC ordered 50,000,000 commemorative "150" they got 6 prefixes instead of 5 (the 6th CDF prefix making up for shortages from the first 5 prefixes).
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

TBH
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:09 am
Location: sunshine coast BC

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by TBH » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:44 pm

Why would you buy at auction something you could get at your bank for face value?

Nota_phil
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by Nota_phil » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:45 pm

TBH wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:44 pm
Why would you buy at auction something you could get at your bank for face value?
-That's a good question. And if you're after special serial numbers you have a much better chance of finding something collectible from a bundle at a bank branch than from a purchase. If you do try to order bundles from your bank just be sure to be clear that you want uncirculated (crisp/new) notes. I have had trouble getting that across at times (in searches past).
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

john1000
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:01 am

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by john1000 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:44 pm

The bundles from the BOC now are not in sequence, they jump skip # all over the place and most special cool serial # are missing. Most likely you will just get 100 random bills with some runs of nothing special #, You could if you are a good enough customer of your local bank or credit union to order a 1000 piece BOC plastic wrap mini bundle for a rather large service fee like 350.00 but you will see that these bricks are missing jumping serials. There are a few 20 dollar serial 001 found in the wild so the BOC does make a mistake every so often

Nota_phil
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by Nota_phil » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:07 am

john1000 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:44 pm
The bundles from the BOC now are not in sequence, they jump skip # all over the place and most special cool serial # are missing. Most likely you will just get 100 random bills with some runs of nothing special #, You could if you are a good enough customer of your local bank or credit union to order a 1000 piece BOC plastic wrap mini bundle for a rather large service fee like 350.00 but you will see that these bricks are missing jumping serials. There are a few 20 dollar serial 001 found in the wild so the BOC does make a mistake every so often
-I agree, as I replied earlier:
I searched many when they first came out in 2018 (& many of the 2017 commemorative series) & discovered that there would be small to large gaps in the serial numbers. It was frustrating as I was hunting for radars (or repeaters) & often the sequence would end abruptly just before the point where I'd expect the special # should be. These were from sealed bricks & not tampered with prior to my inspection.
I have never found a 0000001 note but I did find a 0000002 while searching for the elusive BSW $20.00 (which was nice 8) )

I still don't understand why people would pay a premium for a bundle tho... :roll:
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

User avatar
CanuckCoinGirl
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm

Is this really now true for all bundles? It would be rather sad!
I know I had seen comments on sales pages that indicated that replacement bills were added for some bills, so the sequence could be broken by a replacement even in a group of 100, and there seems to have been others that have talked about the rarest already being pulled and just not showing up randomly like before - likely before they were even set up to be bundled? Wonder where some of those gems are now? Someone in one of the other posts talked about having family from the BOC and them having some nice million bills - so perhaps that is also where some of the special ones are going. Bundles of 100 that are mostly consecutive can still be nice if they are not opened and just kept sealed for some nice bills later. Many I see for sale now indicate the seal is there, but then the bills are all pulled out and opened out for display, which also rather defeats the main purpose most (okay maybe just me) would have of wanting a sealed bundle.

Nota_phil
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by Nota_phil » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Is this really now true for all bundles? It would be rather sad!
I have been collecting for over 4 decades & I would never buy a bundle. (That money would be used elsewhere even if I were falling down rich!) One of the best rules of thumb I learned from a great Canadian dealer was "aim for quality over quantity."

@CanuckCoinGirl, the links you posted showed me a number of bundles of the 1973 Multicolour Ones. One included a radar (good) but the others wouldn't contain anything special & keep in mind that this series had print runs in the billions. They're about as close to the USA's FRN's (Federal Reserve Notes also printed in the billions) as we'll ever get (& people kept bundles of these in their SDB's -Safe Deposit Boxes). They're just as common as grass & will never appreciate much in value (even in UNC).

For that series, you'd want test notes (AXA) or replacements (last letter X or * in front of the serial #) but these would have been quickly pulled by whoever bought these in the first place. I think I've compiled most of the need-to-know stuff on this series here:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... boc-series

If you (or anybody reading this) is a coin collector & would like to learn a little more about what paper money to collect, why not visit my hobby site?

I started Notaphilyc Culture 3 years ago & welcome anybody who might be interested to drop by:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/home

I've spent a while adding as many online resources as I could find on my "SITES & FORUMS page:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... tes-forums

My Notable Terms page attempts to de-mystify the jargon you might hear:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... able-terms

& last (but not least) is a fun Social Media page I added:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... edia-links
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

User avatar
CanuckCoinGirl
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:41 pm

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 pm

I was answering the question with examples, not posting anything I would like for myself...

I do agree with your mentor - and I have never bought a bundle, but I have thought about it for specific reasons.
I would only buy a bundle that I intended on unbundling myself to find some quality inside. Thus, why I would not want anything that someone has already gone through.

Nota_phil
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by Nota_phil » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:34 am

CanuckCoinGirl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 pm
I was answering the question with examples, not posting anything I would like for myself...

I do agree with your mentor - and I have never bought a bundle, but I have thought about it for specific reasons.
I would only buy a bundle that I intended on unbundling myself to find some quality inside. Thus, why I would not want anything that someone has already gone through.
I suspect that most bundles have been searched but I could be wrong. There's nothing really wrong with buying a bundle (if you got the cash) I suppose. People will collect whatever they want.

The links you gave were excellent examples of bundles out there for sale. In fact I would even say that buying 1 of the example listings (1973 series) makes more sense than buying modern, recently released bundles (for example, the 2018 Viola Desmond $10 notes). A lot of US collectors buy bundles (they even have bundles of STAR replacement notes for sale). Its just a personal choice which does not interest me but may be interesting to others.

PCGS, one of the popular TPG from the US, has graded a "stack" (bundle) of $500 notes which you can read about below:
https://forums.collectors.com/discussio ... ice#latest
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

leighfollestad
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:04 pm

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by leighfollestad » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:56 am

Thanks for all the great feedback! For some reason, I got hooked on bundles. :lol: I go through different phases. I've got about 20 different bundles ranging from 1954-bird series, with radars and replacements. I haven't bought anything current. This would have been my first polymer. Do you think I can get a bundle of Viola from the bank? I just figured that they wouldn't have any.

This was the bundle I was talking about.

https://tinyurl.com/5ax4nhdx

Nota_phil
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by Nota_phil » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:15 pm

leighfollestad wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:56 am
Thanks for all the great feedback! For some reason, I got hooked on bundles.... This would have been my first polymer. Do you think I can get a bundle of Viola from the bank? I just figured that they wouldn't have any.

This was the bundle I was talking about.

https://tinyurl.com/5ax4nhdx
First off: yes, you can get a bundle from your branch. Just be sure that they understand you want 100X UNC (they might understand the term "MINT" better- even though I hate using that word for banknotes & not coins!). Ask kindly & I'm sure they'll order them for you (in fact, while you're at it- you might as well order 2 or 3- whatever you can afford so you might get lucky & catch a radar). It might take a week. Let us know how it turns out for you & be extra nice to your tellers (if they pull through).

And on a side note:
I looked at the link, and I can tell you that I could spend $1350 on 2 UNC 1935 $1.00 (likely TPG by PMG or BCS) or so many more collectible BoC notes! There's the Osborne 1937 $1 & the H/A narrow panel as well. You could buy a couple of Devil's Face for that kind of coin. I respect your decision to collect bundles but after I did a quick search on the bay everything I saw was significantly overpriced.

If you'd like to get an idea of what to collect in the 1935 Series than why not check out my site? (You can take the other links to the other series from there). Let me know how you make out!
Bank of Canada 1935
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -of-canada
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

leighfollestad
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:04 pm

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by leighfollestad » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:45 am

Nota_phil wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:15 pm
leighfollestad wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:56 am
Thanks for all the great feedback! For some reason, I got hooked on bundles.... This would have been my first polymer. Do you think I can get a bundle of Viola from the bank? I just figured that they wouldn't have any.

This was the bundle I was talking about.

https://tinyurl.com/5ax4nhdx
First off: yes, you can get a bundle from your branch. Just be sure that they understand you want 100X UNC (they might understand the term "MINT" better- even though I hate using that word for banknotes & not coins!). Ask kindly & I'm sure they'll order them for you (in fact, while you're at it- you might as well order 2 or 3- whatever you can afford so you might get lucky & catch a radar). It might take a week. Let us know how it turns out for you & be extra nice to your tellers (if they pull through).

And on a side note:
I looked at the link, and I can tell you that I could spend $1350 on 2 UNC 1935 $1.00 (likely TPG by PMG or BCS) or so many more collectible BoC notes! There's the Osborne 1937 $1 & the H/A narrow panel as well. You could buy a couple of Devil's Face for that kind of coin. I respect your decision to collect bundles but after I did a quick search on the bay everything I saw was significantly overpriced.

If you'd like to get an idea of what to collect in the 1935 Series than why not check out my site? (You can take the other links to the other series from there). Let me know how you make out!
Bank of Canada 1935
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -of-canada
I really appreciate it! I'll check out the link!

Nota_phil
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Viola Desmond bank bundle

Post by Nota_phil » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:08 am

I really appreciate it! I'll check out the link!
-Thanks! Hope you find it useful!
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

Post Reply