CBC story on paper money

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
CanuckCoinGirl

CBC story on paper money

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:08 pm

CBC just had a short story on Canadian banknotes with a younger Queen Elizabeth face, and how the reporter had spoken to auctioneers about the price (maybe not the most unbiased voices). The discussion was how these bills in good condition would be worth a lot more. Maybe - but not quite what they were saying. I might have to try to get an audio clip of it to really catch all the details. Anyone else catch this and have details to add?

moneyhoney

Re: CBC story on paper money

Post by moneyhoney » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:59 pm

I have a 1935 $20 in EF. I bought it in vancouver, sometime around 1986. I believe i paid $200. I would have been about 23 years old then. I also bought a 1935 $5 in AU for about $450 in victoria.
I remember my dad having a very surprised but respectful reaction. "450 bucks for a five dollar bill."
Victoria was a great place to find old bills and i bought many. I was a waiter making good cash and no mortage. Good times. Within the last few years i have retired and started buying coins again.

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:45 pm

CanuckCoinGirl wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:08 pm
CBC just had a short story on Canadian banknotes with a younger Queen Elizabeth face, and how the reporter had spoken to auctioneers about the price (maybe not the most unbiased voices). The discussion was how these bills in good condition would be worth a lot more. Maybe - but not quite what they were saying. I might have to try to get an audio clip of it to really catch all the details. Anyone else catch this and have details to add?
The only thing I can find is this Nick Logan write up which is more about King Charles III replacing his mother's portrait.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/king-cha ... -1.6578839

I honestly don't think that the majority (98%) of banknotes which have her portrait will go up in value. For example, all the regular issue polymer $20, Journey (2004) $20, 1979 $20, 1973/74 $1 & $2 +1969 $20 & Modified (1954) banknotes won't go up that much in value. They're super common as they were printed in the millions & billions. (I feel quite annoyed to see so many common QEII notes being jacked up in BIN prices on eBay right now- please don't buy- you will be paying future prices!)

The 1954 Devil's Face series (printed in the millions but popular worldwide), the 1935 $20 plus anything actually rare or uncommon (replacements, special # or errors) with her portrait for the 1954 & later series will probably go up in value (as they regularly do) but that's been no different since collecting began.
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

moneyhoney

Post by moneyhoney » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:33 pm

I believe, george vi coins in lower circulated grade coins do now have a small premium.
It would be reasonable to think that the elizabeth laureated portrait will be the next to increase from face value for lower grades. The downside is that many of these years have very high mintages.

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:46 am

I'm happy that there will be more interest in coins & banknotes featuring either monarch. If there are a few more new collectors than that's a good news story.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:15 am

There might be a few more collectors that come out of it, but for the most part it will be gifts that languish, don't get stored well, and get tossed in the trash when someone doesn't see the value.

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:23 am

CanuckCoinGirl wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:15 am
There might be a few more collectors that come out of it, but for the most part it will be gifts that languish, don't get stored well, and get tossed in the trash when someone doesn't see the value.
Sad but true. I think one of the reasons is that the parent (or older relative) sees a RCM product at the Post Office & decides to buy it (like the east coast Puffins or a super hero silver coin). They give it as a gift (hoping that the receiver might get into the hobby) but the receiver just doesn't care about the subject (east cost puffins or super heroes) & puts it away somewhere (as you described). It really is tough to keep at collecting (esp the non-circulating coins) b/c we never see them in daily transactions & we hardly ever consider the relevance of the RCM chosen subjects. (It is also possible that the youth once enjoyed the subject as a child but rejects it as "childish" later on).

Collectors must find the hobby on their own terms to truly appreciate the history &/or enjoy why a coin is collectible (desirable in a certain condition). If the coin (or note) is used by the collector, a connection can be established & the collector may value it &/or seek a set. Or they might find an error (or a bimetallic design they like - such as the Blue Nose schooner, etc) but something has to spark the interest. There are different levels of involvement within the hobby too & all of us start at the most superficial level: typically we just dabble with it periodically.

On many of the other forums I visit, I often see new collectors who had a gift given to them (or an inheritance) & sometimes the appreciation occurs later in life. Typically though, they are just interested in the value & wish to sell.