What you collect and why

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
CanuckCoinGirl

Re: What you collect and why

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:37 pm

I really was just an observer to start, and gave things that were interesting to my dad. This worked well when I got old enough to buy him good gifts because he got proof sets for Christmas and he would spend hours going over each coin. I'm trying to convince him there might be better value in other things, as the proof sets don't do as well as other things. For fun over the years, I also spent time hunting down some things he did not have - and they became gifts for all he did. He has some bills, but is less of a bill collector, and I've added Devil's Face notes to it for him. I slowly (randomly?) started my own mini collection of things I liked. Most of my early things were circulated and found in change, or came directly from the mint. Then I discovered there were nice coin stores when I travelled, old fashioned markets, and auctions - and now EBAY and online auctions. I now have a crazy mix of stuff, and could not really say I have a niche or plan. I like pretty large old cents, $1 and $2 dollar bills since they are gone now. My favourite bills have been from the 1954 series, and especially * $2 replacements, but I have a few Devil's Face bills too. My biggest collecting regrets are not using my money for getting better UNC coins and bills, and starting with nicer UNC 1922-1926 nickels (actually any of the old turn of the century nickels late Victoria, Edward minis, and the George V years) a long time ago! The price of a really nice '26 far 6 now...whew...

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:49 pm

@CanuckCoinGirl that's an interesting entry into the hobby (getting hooked by giving your dad gifts). I think that's the 1st time I've heard of that. Thanks for sharing!

After I bought my first copy of the Charlton Guide to Government Paper Money (CGPM), back in 2003, I made a commitment to be rid of all my regular notes. All I had were very circulated 1954/1969 & some Birds signature sets. I happened to find a couple of replacements (eg: *RE $2.00) while working at a local carwash (which I knew were special before I got my catalogue), so I decided that was all I would keep & sell the rest of my "fillers" on eBay. I also sold (or traded) my 1937 $50 & $100 plus my Devil's Face $50, $100 since I figured my collector's goal was now to get better grades and only $20 & below in denominations. Setting a collector's goal was probably the best decision I made because I started to collect:

Errors
Replacements (except the Devil's Face as these were way over my budget)
Special serial numbers (low #, radars, million # notes, repeaters, etc)
Signature change-overs
Short runs

Although I've gotten a bit of flack from some fellow collectors for ditching my DF's & 1937's the money I got from them paid for much nicer notes so I'm happy with the way my collection turned out.

@CanuckCoinGirl you wrote that:
My biggest collecting regrets are not using my money for getting better UNC coins and bills, and starting with nicer UNC 1922-1926 nickels (actually any of the old turn of the century nickels late Victoria, Edward minis, and the George V years) a long time ago!
and I hear you as my biggest regret is that I didn't aim for higher grade (UNC or better) notes & pretty much went for bargain priced Devil's Face notes. I just couldn't understand how such common notes (printed in the millions) could keep going up (& up) in BV (Book Value). I never factored in World demand (until I started collecting world notes). I also spent far too much on the current series (thinking these were deals) rather than filling gaps on the older stuff.
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:44 pm

Thanks Nota_phil for bringing this back to life, Great to hear your stores . But hasn't help me decide what to collect. :lol:
I have started to up grade some of my bank notes(Canadian) but i'm sure they fall short of what most real collectors would want .
I still coin roll hunt and it is very rare but do still pick up the odd silver coin and no mater the condition it goes into my collection.
I dont like buying anything unless I can see it in hand so am realy looking forward to when the shows all start full swing .
Thanks again to all that contribute to this web site , I check-in with it daily.
Best of luck with all your collecting :D

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:20 pm

But hasn't help me decide what to collect. :lol:
I have started to up grade some of my bank notes(Canadian) but i'm sure they fall short of what most real collectors would want .
I still coin roll hunt and it is very rare but do still pick up the odd silver coin and no mater the condition it goes into my collection.
I dont like buying anything unless I can see it in hand so am realy looking forward to when the shows all start full swing .
Thanks again to all that contribute to this web site , I check-in with it daily.
Don't be too hard on yourself @GBELEC, I'm sure you'll find (or define) your interests as time goes on. One thing you've managed to excel at (compared to others) is that you've kept active in the hobby by checking in here, or coin roll hunt. When I started out I would pull out my paltry collection of coins, compare them to my brother's massive collection, get pissed off & hide them back in their hiding spot. I wouldn't pull them out (or even think about coins) for another year. The same thing happened when I began focussing on paper. This was long before the Internet so it was much easier to approach the hobby like a brown bear (& go into hibernation). Now, its much easier to keep active & not feel compelled to acquire which is great especially if you want to aim for quality over quantity.

If you check the bios of the best collectors in the world, you'll discover 2 things: first, they kept active (its a marathon to them not a race) & 2nd, they aimed for better (& rarer). They did their homework to discover what was tough to find (or part of their goal & I'm sure they defined/redefined their collector goals a few times).

If you ever get a chance, why not drop by to check out my hobby site? I often discuss collector's goals & other strategies any collector might find useful. I update with new entries (opinions) every Saturday. Plus I've added pages that point to the various change-overs & tough prefixes collectors often seek (plus the less expensive "dark horses" they may not seek):

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:44 am

I have started a thread which features the majority of my private Bank of Canada collection on the CANADIAN PAPER section of the Coin Community Forum (CCF).

I started the thread b/c in 2018 the Canadian Paper Money Forum shut down so I registered with the CCF. Over the years, I had posted several photos of some of my CDN collection so I realized it would be easier to create this thread there (as they stored my images at CCF). On this thread I try to cover what & why I collected the notes featured. I also discuss grades, over grading & some tough change overs (notes I wanted due to their toughness to acquire).

If interested, please check out Walk2thewater's Bank of Canada Personal Collection:
http://goccf.com/t/450797

jmx

Post by jmx » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:07 am

I am a recent collector. I like the art on banknotes.
It seems life-giving.
JMX

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:00 am

jmx wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:07 am
I am a recent collector. I like the art on banknotes.
It seems life-giving.
JMX
A lot of banknote collectors dig the art.
I created a page on World Motifs (+ other areas of banknote collecting) here:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... rld-motifs