What you collect and why

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
GBELEC

What you collect and why

Post by GBELEC » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 pm

I really like collection Canadian paper currency but have a collection of bills collected when traveling , as well as coin mostly Canadian . I can see as a new collector I can’t collect everything and wondering what to settle on. Would like to hear from anyone out there what they collect and why. I’m not looking to get rich at this :roll:

GBELEC

Re: What you collect and why

Post by GBELEC » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:03 pm

Sorry should have put this in general topics!!!!! Still learning!!!!!

papermoneyguy

Post by papermoneyguy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:05 am

I collect low serial numbers especially
Number 1 notes

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:45 pm

That sounds like a tough find, do you collect from all different Nations???

papermoneyguy

Post by papermoneyguy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:57 pm

Only Canadian bills and only Unc or better
Have been collecting them for almost 50 years

DarkSki

Post by DarkSki » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:40 pm

I am into circulation silver and I get any cheap stuff I can find . I gather through metal detecting , coin roll searching , checking abandoned buildings and at flea markets.

Actually most of my time off work that's what I'm doing its alot of fun to find treasure like this, a great means of exercise and learning about local history.

Next summer I will go snorkeling and try my hand at old swimming locations

papermoneyguy

Post by papermoneyguy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:18 pm

Not sure where you live but when I was younger I use to walk old farm fence lines
And abandoned ghost towns and labour camps with my metal detector
What you find is unbelievable and truly
Treasures of past times
It’s a great way to spend a day(s)
Good luck in your hunting

Canadian Banknotes

Post by Canadian Banknotes » Mon May 18, 2020 12:55 pm

I've collected many things over the years. I really enjoy the artwork on banknotes. For me its the beauty and the fine details that I enjoy most!
Collector of Canadian Banknotes
Buy - Sell - Trade
C.P.M.S. Member #1903
E: CANADIANBANKNOTESANDBILLS@GMAIL.COM
IG: CANADIAN_PAPERMONEY

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Mon May 18, 2020 5:21 pm

Welcome to the forum Canadian Banknotes, great to hear your story of currencies collecting. I agree with you on the great art work of bank notes. But somehow I go to coin shows and often come home with both notes and coins.

Canadian Banknotes

Post by Canadian Banknotes » Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Sounds a little like myself. I was wondering when the next show will be with everything going on these days. I actually asked my wife today if she thought Torex would be running, she laughed. :)
Buy - Sell - Trade
C.P.M.S. Member #1903

Canadian Banknotes

Post by Canadian Banknotes » Tue May 19, 2020 10:18 am

Just out of curiosty, who here is a type collector or prefix collector? Does anybody have a resource where we can see the total number of prefix's for the BOC from 1935 to present day? It must be an enormous amount of prefix's.
Buy - Sell - Trade
C.P.M.S. Member #1903

Techmoe

Post by Techmoe » Tue May 19, 2020 9:05 pm

Personally I like collecting a bit of everything, especially raw ungraded bills and coins. Professional grading takes away from the collecting aspect and the natural interpretation the hobby needs, in my opinion anyways.

As for reference for Canadian notes (coins too), I use the Charlton Standard Catalogs

Canadian Banknotes

Post by Canadian Banknotes » Wed May 20, 2020 8:02 am

Techmoe wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:05 pm
Personally I like collecting a bit of everything, especially raw ungraded bills and coins. Professional grading takes away from the collecting aspect and the natural interpretation the hobby needs, in my opinion anyways.

As for reference for Canadian notes (coins too), I use the Charlton Standard Catalogs
Nice approach I need to start looking more at ungraded notes. I do have a few but admittedly most of my collection is graded.
Buy - Sell - Trade
C.P.M.S. Member #1903

CdN$$Collector

Post by CdN$$Collector » Sun May 24, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi,First time Poster Long Time User :) I mostly collect Canadian error coins,old silver obviously and cool Serial numbers all from Cerculation,i also collect old Beer and Soft Drink Stuff,and I'm recently getting into Rockhounding...If I'm not mistaken the RCM made a coin relating bothe hobbies hehe. Thx.C$C

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:44 am

I'm resurrecting this old thread as a means to liven things up here a bit.

I'm just curious to see if you'd like to share what you collect! Share when you started (or how you got interested in collecting currency or coins) & anything else you'd like to add.

I started collecting Bank of Canada (1935 to present) currency when I had a paper route & was around 12 years old. That was in the early to mid-seventies & since we weren't exactly awash with cash back then, my collection grew super slowly. I started out like most kids handling lots of change, searching (vainly) for silver in collecting the subscription fees/dues from my paper route "clients." It was super 'slim pickins' & my older brother (who started years earlier & was helped by parents & grandpa) had a colossal collection with old silver kings & queen I'd never seen. So, in a fit of temper I packed up my paltry coins & began trading them in for banknotes since (initially) that wasn't his thing (& thus my competitive nature was appeased).

How did I start? Well, there was no Charlton back in them old days so I just went about trying to get signature combinations for the modified 1954 series & the current 1969 multicolour series. It was a long haul & my notes were in pretty rough shape. Finally, I saw a coin/note seller at our local mall & snagged a $20 Devil's face (my first!) By this time, my lousy older brother branched into notes & had these in all the denominations save the upper 3 ($50-$1000). He wouldn't even trade or sell me one of his notes but luckily he flew off to college & I never saw what became of his collection (he won't even talk about it to this day)!

Anyway, back to my first job, I managed to fill in the gaps & bought a 1937 $5.00 (much like the one posted by "altakid") Later, I found the Charlton in our local library & read it like it was my new bible. I was hooked!
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes