Bank of Canada notes to be graded

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
CanuckCoinGirl

Bank of Canada notes to be graded

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Thoughts oh wise ones? Experiences?
I know that there has been a good deal of discussion on where to get things graded and the like in the past, but some things seem to have changed recently. I am debating about having some paper bills graded sooner rather than later. Of course I like many of these bills because I like them, but for some of them, I want to have a grade for inventory purposes in the near future. I know where I would have sent them a few years ago, but where would, or should, I send them today. Thinking good grading, bang for my buck (in more ways than one), but also thinking about the 'how' of it. Concerned about sending bills across the border and then having them sent back, for example.

dbcoins

Re: Bank of Canada notes to be graded

Post by dbcoins » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:47 am

First off, are these notes worth grading considering expense and effort involved? Assuming they are, for Canadian notes, I feel comfortable with BCS ( Banknote Certification Service) In Kitchener, Ontario. Their rates are reasonable and their grading standard is more conservative for Canadian notes than say PMG in the U.S. If you can wait till summer, they usually have a special rate with a 10 note minimum.

Cheers

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:58 am

definitely worth grading - thank you

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:24 pm

dbcoins wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:47 am
First off, are these notes worth grading considering expense and effort involved? Assuming they are, for Canadian notes, I feel comfortable with BCS ( Banknote Certification Service) In Kitchener, Ontario. Their rates are reasonable and their grading standard is more conservative for Canadian notes than say PMG in the U.S. If you can wait till summer, they usually have a special rate with a 10 note minimum.
Cheers
CanuckCoinGirl wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:58 am
definitely worth grading - thank you
I have had 2 bulk lots graded by BCS & Steven Bell has been super (IMHO). In fact, I cannot say enough about how professional, timely & exacting Mr. Bell has been with each submission. He's been a "collector's grader" for many years & I feel his services have been not really appreciated. He's been so efficient & accommodating that I only wish he would grade world currency! I cannot recommend him enough else but alas- he only grades Canadian currency.

I am going to pick up my bulk lot of World currency certified by PMG from FedEx tomorrow. It took nearly 3 months for them to be graded (border delays, etc) & I have received 2 invoices (not 1 like you will get with BCS but 2)! So I am really hoping it ends there (& the grades are decent/fair) as it has probably been about 4X as expensive compared to BCS. Sure, BCS is a lot more conservative (& you may get lower numbers/grades) but collectors know (We've caught on to the discrepancy/trends of how US TPG's grade liberally vs strict CDN standards).

When I bid on a BCS holder I am 100% CONFIDENT that I will get a super conservatively assessed note & that if I win it will be a bargain (compared to any other certifier). I have won several World PMG & often its been a "crap shoot" their certified note were FAR too liberally graded but I have never doubted a BCS certification. This is what you learn once you've been at if for as long as I (unfortunately).

We are very lucky to have them!
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:42 pm

Fantastic review. Thank you! And I would like to send a group out.
Things getting held up at the border was one of my concerns for sure. The other was having to pay a duty of the grading and the bills again, although a record that you owned them before should suffice. Would very much like to stay in Canada - if I was heading to the US in the near future, I would send them down and pick them up at the border before coming back.

Seeing a lot of things graded by Legacy these days too, but less discussion on them.

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:55 am

CanuckCoinGirl wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:42 pm
Fantastic review. Thank you! And I would like to send a group out.
Things getting held up at the border was one of my concerns for sure. The other was having to pay a duty of the grading and the bills again, although a record that you owned them before should suffice. Would very much like to stay in Canada - if I was heading to the US in the near future, I would send them down and pick them up at the border before coming back.

Seeing a lot of things graded by Legacy these days too, but less discussion on them.
-You are quite welcomed for the BCS recommendation. If anyone asks me - I always endorse them.

Re: my PMG bulk lot submission:
I had no issue with my certified notes coming back to Canada (fortunately). When I wrote my last post I was rather miffed at FedEx leaving a sticker that couldn't be removed fully from my door. (It was like it was painted on & it will take a putty knife and vinegar or something remove it). I've had issues with FedEx often which I won't delve into here.

I got a 2nd invoice from PMG but it turned out to be a refund. It was due to a note that PMG refused to certify so all good (except now I must investigate as to why this error note was rejected). And while PMG is definitely more expensive (with the exchange rate, shipping & higher costs) I don't think it is quite 4X as expensive as I wrote above.
If you'd like to read more about my submission than please visit my Notaphylic Culture Site's Collector's Corner page:

I have no experience with Legacy other than what I have seen listed on various online auction platforms. From what I've observed so far, I think I prefer the new PCGS certified notes as Legacy seem more lenient than PMG (& PCGS seem slightly more conservative).

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:30 am

My bulk submission (50 notes) came back from PMG.
To see some of my other results (graded notes) & commentary, please check out this link:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... mg-results

Here's an *AA replacement (BC-46aA above 5M) from the Bank of Canada:
Attachments
Canada_BC-46aAAA.jpeg
Canada_BC-46aAAA.jpeg (316.1 KiB) Viewed 3303 times