1974 $2 banknote What is this?

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
William Fowler

1974 $2 banknote What is this?

Post by William Fowler » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:57 pm

I have this 1974 $2 banknote that is a little off, is this an "out of cut register" or just an "out of register"? Or is this just an error? Does anyone know where to find more info on this type of banknote?
Attachments
IMG_1116a.jpg
IMG_1116a.jpg (606.43 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
IMG_1117a.jpg
IMG_1117a.jpg (670.99 KiB) Viewed 2297 times

Nota_phil

Re: 1974 $2 banknote What is this?

Post by Nota_phil » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:51 am

William Fowler wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:57 pm
I have this 1974 $2 banknote that is a little off, is this an "out of cut register" or just an "out of register"? Or is this just an error? Does anyone know where to find more info on this type of banknote?
Your $2 is "a little off" centred Will. It is completely within QC standards. One of the most troubling trends I'm seeing on Social Media is collectors stating that poorly centred notes are "errors" when this is not the case.

If it were UNC it would grade a "61" or "63" (the last odd digit indicates the design is a bit cockeyed). It is not cut out of register nor an "error." For it to be an error, it would have to be far more dramatically tilted with the border of the adjacent note showing. However, be wary of overly dramatic errors b/c the BoC sold sheets of this series & there were some unscrupulous people who bought these & cut them to create "Faux" (fake) errors.

US collectors are used to seeing notes poorly centred whereas we (CDNs) seem to get a bit excited if a note is slightly off-centred b/c our printers usually get it right or they're just slightly off. over 1/2 billion of these were issued. There's more info on the 1974 series (BC-47a) here, or in the Charlton Guide of Government Paper Money & on the BM(Banknote Museum):
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/count ... AN0086.htm
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes