Cutting Open Graded Notes

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
q60driver

Cutting Open Graded Notes

Post by q60driver » Sun May 21, 2023 4:52 pm

What is your opinion on cutting open graded notes?

Personally, I don't generally purchase for the TPG and never plan on selling so cutting open doesn't really bother me... It's your note, do as you like.

I have cut open 2 notes that I didn't agree with the grade. One was graded by CCCS as 63 but looking through the plastic, you could see an obvious bend on the bottom edge. I would put it at 55 or 58 at best and luckily I didn't pay a 63 price for it so I wasn't worried about the grading. The other was a similar situation with a CCCS note.

Nota_phil

Re: Cutting Open Graded Notes

Post by Nota_phil » Mon May 22, 2023 10:43 am

I think it's up to you. If you paid to certify than I'd say "no" but if you bought it like that- that's your decision. I understand (& respect) your decision b/c you've stated that you:
.. never plan on selling so cutting open doesn't really bother me.
I would not recommend it though. I encourage all collectors to think of themselves as "caretakers of historic artefacts." Just b/c you won't do "this or that" doesn't mean your relatives (or heirs) wouldn't do "this or that." I try to look at the big picture & sometimes a TPG note is much easier to sell down the road (b/c it pins a grade on it- fair or not fair). For me, most higher graded/collectible notes are better certified rather than uncertified. That's b/c they become more liquid or easy to sell for future owners (most of the time). There's always exceptions to these generalizations. I have seen a lot of common notes graded. Some of these notes definitely should not be graded (a subject for another thread).

I have seen countless threads of cutting notes out of their holders & countless good & poor reasons to do so. Also, I know of many advanced US collectors who buy from one TPG only to re-submit to another TPG. There's also many who will never do that. I have a note from Gibraltar that is in a colossal, ill-fitted, ancient PCGS holder I would love to cut out but it will remain in the holder until someone else owns it. (I will let them re-submit or cut out if they should wish to do so).

I think the answer should be "it depends" & "up to the owner."
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

q60driver

Re: Cutting Open Graded Notes

Post by q60driver » Wed May 24, 2023 1:28 am

Great points!

Thanks for the reply!