PMG comments

General discussions about canadian banknnotes.
AVL

PMG comments

Post by AVL » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:28 pm

If PMG or any grading service grades a note as Choice Fine 15, for example, and they comment “stain”, does the stain factor into the grade? Or is is the note valued less than another same note graded 15 with no stain?

momomomo

Re: PMG comments

Post by momomomo » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:06 am

Hello! :D

It is worth less than a banknote F-15 without stain. But in lower grades, most banknotes have at least 1 imperfection like small tear, hole...

https://www.coinsandcanada.com/banknote ... tes&id=430

Nota_phil

Re: PMG comments

Post by Nota_phil » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:44 pm

If PMG or any grading service grades a note as Choice Fine 15, for example, and they comment “stain”, does the stain factor into the grade? Or is is the note valued less than another same note graded 15 with no stain?
It is worth less than a banknote F-15 without stain. But in lower grades, most banknotes have at least 1 imperfection like small tear, hole...
+1

Most grading companies won't normally attribute a note with the adjective "choice" if it has a stain (or any issue). Usually you would call it "Fine with stains." A "choice" Fine should be Fine 12 to 18 sans stains, tears, graffiti, etc. All "choice" notes should have decent eye appeal & stains typically detract from that.

However, having said that, I am sure you will find some PMG notes with "Choice" + some extra issue since there's been many certifiers employed by PMG over the years who have certified millions of notes. When the numbers of certifiers reach that high, you're bound to have inconsistencies. One of the grades I have become quite wary of is PMG VF20 because I've seen real grimey looking VF20 rags that I would not give a F-12 to. Always try to buy the note (not the holder). TPG* is quite subjective b/c the certification involves people making judgements using a sliding scale. It's bound to be imperfect.

The most important attribute a collector should seek when shopping for a circulated TPG note is to get a "Q" from PMG or an "Original" note from BCS. Notes without "EPQ" can be washed, pressed & processed considerably. It may look like a VF30 now but it could have been a VF20 rag before some shady seller soaked in some soapy suds. Or it may have a pinhole, pen mark, knick or some other impairment. Certifiers no longer list all the issues these days. You really throw the dice when buying a note without EPQ or Original designation. Most non Q notes will sell much cheaper than Q notes as well (unless we're talking scarcer series like early Chartered banks, etc).

*TPG: Third Party Grader (or certifier)
PMG Paper Money Guarantee (US certifier)
BCS Banknote Certification Services (CDN certifier)
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes