Is NGC better than ICCS

General discussions about conservation and classification.
Piepala80

Is NGC better than ICCS

Post by Piepala80 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:33 pm

I just bought coins that were graded by NGC. Are they better than ICCS or PCGS

coinguy

Re: Is NGC better than ICCS

Post by coinguy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:56 am

It depends on what coins you got graded. They all have their own grading standards although NGC is considered one of the big three when it comes to grading.

Percy

Post by Percy » Tue May 11, 2021 7:19 am

Any coin graded by ICCS is suspect
NGC is the best grading company imo
NGC is cheaper than PCGS and NGC has the best slabs

TBH

Post by TBH » Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 am

NGC Is consistently inconsistent at grading circulated Canadian coins.
Most are overgraded.
For mintstate Canadian coins their reputation is less than second rate when compared to PCGS.

troubadour

Post by troubadour » Tue May 11, 2021 8:41 am

i'm 100% with TBH on this one. pcgs is largely better than ngc

Jim J

Post by Jim J » Tue May 11, 2021 8:45 am

I'm in favor of PCGS graded coins over all other graders for Canadian coins. I have sent in several ICCS + NGC graded coins to PCGS many come back Detailed (cleaned), (scratch) (Rim Dings) as the other two graders (ICCS) + (NGC) don't make note of these Details.

So for me PCGS is #1 for grading Canadian coins.

Dartviking

Post by Dartviking » Mon May 31, 2021 11:45 am

I find NGC is the WORST grading company out there.........nothing I have seen has been close to accurate, based on Canadian Charlton standards.
The BEST of them all has been close but I give the edge to ICCS over PCGS based on our standards. I do like that the high value coins are slabbed by PCGS though, but soooo EXPENSIVE !!!

dbcoins

Post by dbcoins » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:36 pm

Sorry for the very late response to this question but feel I must chime in.... As you can see piepala80, opinions are like a-holes....everybody has one. I don't know how experienced you are, but my 2 cents (no pun intended) from a 40 year collector would always be the same to any collector in this wonderful hobby....
1) Learn how to grade for yourself...take the time...it's a process.....a great book source is Guide to Grading from Andre Langlois....Gain confidence & don't be intimidated by so called Mr. Know it all's
2) Buy the coin, not the holder...I don' care who they are...ICCS, PCGS, NGC...blah, blah . Some people will buy some pretty horrible coins with no eye appeal because some TPG company encouraged them to because of the grade...
3) Do your homework & go with your gut instinct on a coin.... Does the coin appeal to you ?..If not, never buy....

cheers
Dan

SP67

Post by SP67 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:37 am

I agree with dbcoins.

Knowledge is the best "grading" options.

TPG could be only useful for expensive coins to protect both seller and buyer. And could speed up negotiation. But again never buy the holder. Knowledge is always the best protection.