Silver dollars wrapped in tinfoil - Should I open them?

General discussions about conservation and classification.
Jimsgirl

Silver dollars wrapped in tinfoil - Should I open them?

Post by Jimsgirl » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi all. This is my first post and I’m an utter newbie that will appreciate all your help and guidance. I am going through a large collection of coins and bills that was my father’s. He died 20 years ago and I’m only now getting the courage to go through them. He worked as an accountant at the Royal bank in Montreal in the late 1950’s to mid-1960’s for a summer job and collected coins and bills as they came in. Part of his collection includes several rolls of 1965-67 silver dollars, that are wrapped in tinfoil and/or plastic wrap. My mother thinks they are likely uncirculated. Obviously we can’t tell condition without opening. My question is, should we open the rolls or not? And if we do open them, are there any measures we should take to preserve their value? Would the same hold true for wrapped quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies?
Many thanks!

Jim J

Re: Silver dollars wrapped in tinfoil - Should I open them?

Post by Jim J » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:01 pm

I would sell as is if they are uncirculated rolls as for the Silver dollars I would go through them 1966 small bead is worth $2000.00+ if you have any.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 pm

The dollars are silver and current price is $18.85 times face. Each roll is 20 coins so just the scrap value of the uncirc dollars is $377 Canadian per roll. But most dealers or buyers are looking at only giving 90-95% of scrap value. There are lots of collectors that collect uncirc rolls so you may get the best price there without opening the rolls to see if there are any neat varieties.
Bill in Burl

Jimsgirl

Post by Jimsgirl » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:58 pm

Thank you for the suggestions Jim J and Bill in Burl. I will be back with mire questions as I find time to go through the collection.

bidderdown

Post by bidderdown » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:22 pm

i would be interested in buying old pennies 1920 to 1930 if rolls are marked your dimes quarters halfs dollars all are silver and have market value plus collectable value old bills no folds tears creases pen marks also have value the ones twos all are cancelled by gv of cdn. but still collectable the $ 1000. also are cancelled but bank of canada will give u new bills $ 100.s hope this helps u.