2 x 2 coin flips

General discussions about conservation and classification.
ahydroboy@aol.com

2 x 2 coin flips

Post by ahydroboy@aol.com » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:22 pm

I have a problem with some of my albums containing the 2 x 2 coin flips. I have a very hard time removing them from the album page as they have become sticky. I do not know why as the humidity is low and I use cotton gloves whenever working with them. The binder pages are only a few years old. Does anyone know why they are becoming sticky / stuck?

dans40

Re: 2 x 2 coin flips

Post by dans40 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:16 am

I get that too. I just take a flat ruler and stick it into the slot and release the stuck 2x2 coin holder. But that leaves a sticky residue on the front and back of the holder. Just be sure not to do it in any dusty areas in your home, or put the holder down on a soft cloth that has lint on it. Otherwise, just replace the coin holder and throw the sticky one out.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:38 pm

Replace the pocket holder. It is likely that is the problem and not the flips.
You may have to replace flips and, to be honest, replacing both might just be your best bet.
Cheaper holders could have more contaminants in them, and not be exactly as described.
I have also found that these from earlier days of coin collection might have absorbed some of the things in the air if in a smokers house - becoming more yellowed and sticky too.

ahydroboy@aol.com

Post by ahydroboy@aol.com » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:25 am

Thanks for the replies