Effect of rippling on value by collectors

Discuss about everything else here.
knsgee

Effect of rippling on value by collectors

Post by knsgee » Sun May 26, 2019 4:55 pm

I am new to all aspects of numismatics but have gone thru a container we have been throwing pennies in for about 50 years. Had about 1200 of them the oldest dated 1928 which is in pretty good shape. I was wondering what affect if any rippling has on 1 cent coins. I know I came across several coins that had rippling but at that time didn’t know what it was and thought it was a finger print somehow pressed into the product. My question is, does rippling on a coin increase its value as far as collectors are concerned or generally is it inconsequential?
By the way I posted a question re: mint mark. “P” and want to thank the 2 individuals who replied.

coinguy

Re: Effect of rippling on value by collectors

Post by coinguy » Mon May 27, 2019 7:29 am

Not quite sure what you mean by rippling. It would all depend on what caused it.
If it happened during the striking of the coin, then it would be an error and have a slight premium.
If it happened after the coin was struck. then it would be damage and devaluate the coin.
From the sounds of your collection though, if the earliest you have is a 1928, then unless you have an error or variety in one of them, they are pretty common and don't have a lot of value.