Covid & border security

Discuss about everything else here.
Bill in Burl

Covid & border security

Post by Bill in Burl » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:42 pm

If you live in Canada and contemplate going into US, forget it! I got my 2nd call from the VA in Buffalo to schedule my Covid vaccine injections (the 1st notice was 3 weeks ago). I was all set to go down to Buffalo (50 miles) on Mar 1 and get the 2nd one Mar 22 and scheduled them. Even in past border closures this past year, I had no problem going to the VA and back up here for medical reasons and no quarantine necessary. Now, I can get across to the US for medical, but need a negative Covid test within 72 hours that HAS TO BE administered in the US to get back into Canada. And then have to do a 14 day, 24 hour quarantine to stay here. Since the Covid tests take 3 days to get results, it would cost me 6 days in a Buffalo hotel and a month in quarantine to get my 2 shots 3 weeks apart. I'll just have to wait until the Canada vaccines show up to get put into my 75 year old body.

No more sneaking across the border to check out small NY shops. Same goes for you guys out by Vancouver.
Bill in Burl

Bond632

Re: Covid & border security

Post by Bond632 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:08 pm

Thank you for your service and hang in there Bill.

Hopefully our government gets their heads out of their nether regions soon.

MakesCents

Post by MakesCents » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:02 pm

I live pretty close to the Sumas border crossing and what I miss most is the cheap gas, the Tillamook cheese and Nalleys chili. The other thing I miss is that I just discovered an antique store with all sorts of coins and banknotes in Bellingham. My first and only trip there I found a 1954 $2 test note. I can hardly wait to see an end to this lousy pandemic!!

Mario3269

Post by Mario3269 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:18 pm

As the current covid test have a turn around of less than 2 hours on some of them, you should be able to get across and back in the same day. and still be able to hit a coin shop if nearby.

Just curious on how you made out Bill.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:37 am

Well, I got to the VA in Buffalo a week and a half ago. I live in Canada, but a US citizen. No problem getting into the US, but coming back from the US into Canada had some extra steps. Since I was going for medical purposes, I needed a letter/not from my doctor here that said that I needed to go to the VA and then I needed the same from my VA doctor that said that I was treated.

I think that the Canadian border will open somewhat the 8th or 9th, but you still need a couple things. You need to fill out the "ArriveCanada" form within 3 days of coming back to Canada. You need proof of both your vaccines and they still want the negative Covid test, but that may be waived by the 8th or 9th. You will not have to quarantine for the 4 days. Check with the border patrol by phone, both in the US and Canada, to see if things change because of the Delta variant.
Bill in Burl

Mario3269

Post by Mario3269 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:53 pm

Bill, Glad you were able to get here and back!! Hope everything went well!!

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:32 pm

Glad to hear you are back on the bright side of the coin Bill....I have too many interests obviously but coins and photography and watercolour painting are still my favourites...I like many must frustrate you with the hit and miss attention to your comments...I've learned a lot in the last few months and basically discovered I have more junk than promise in my collections...I have always appreciated your comments to the newbies and wish to participate more...until later Dave from W.Flamborough.