Underwater Mapping

Discuss about everything else here.
Jacob Henry

Underwater Mapping

Post by Jacob Henry » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:55 am

Hi everyone! I'm preparing a seminar on Underwater Mapping, So I would appreciate it if anyone could help me. Is there anyone who has an idea about this? What are the techniques used for underwater investigation? Do the results from this process are accurate? Thanks in advance.

Bill in Burl

Re: Underwater Mapping

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:55 pm

Although this is a coin forum, I'll toss something your way as a place to look up findings from the Arctic underwater mapping that's been going on for decades. Look up or Google "Fletcher's Ice Island T3". It is a floating ice island that has been slowing rotating around the North Pole since the 1950's. It was used as a scientific outpost manned by scientists, grad school oceanographers and the Naval Arctic Research Lab from the early 70's until now. Sometimes the island (usually 5 mile by 3 mile) would make 100 yards in a day, sometimes a few miles per day. Most of its time was as part of the massive polar icepack and sometimes nearly free. It was about 100 ft thick when I spent a month on her in 1973. It was at 86.30 when there, so about 200 miles from the pole itself and it was NW of Greenland at the time. That's all I can tell you, other than to look up info and data from there, but it was a very weird experience for me in the late Fall back then. I was not involved in the research, only there to repair comms gear.
Bill in Burl