Need Help - Selling off a Collection

Post here if you want to sell, buy and/or trade.
bullethub

Need Help - Selling off a Collection

Post by bullethub » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:30 pm

Hello Everyone, I am in the process of selling off a number of coins from a collection that was given to me. I've been around this collection for ever but never could get an interest in it,,,,, old cars was my thing LOL!!! I took a quick picture of a few coins for a sample, any thoughts or help would be great. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3227.JPG
IMG_3227.JPG (569.33 KiB) Viewed 11947 times
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG (574.41 KiB) Viewed 11947 times
IMG_3226.JPG
IMG_3226.JPG (564.74 KiB) Viewed 11947 times

coinguy

Re: Need Help - Selling off a Collection

Post by coinguy » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:31 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Where are you located, that might help in determining on how to dispose of your coins.
Also are you looking to sell them individually ( for best return) or all at once for a quick sale.
I’m sure any Newfoundland collector would be interested.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:14 pm

From the photos, I can't tell if there is anything that is scarce or hard to find. I DO see some high grades. You need to get a reference (Charlton or Haxby or Trends) to give you an idea of what may have some value and which not. That makes a difference on where/how you want to sell it.

In the last group, I can see some of the writing and you have some worth well over $1000, and some to 5k. You need to find an established auction to handle this and then let them take their cut. Don't go to a local auction ... you need an auction that has some big dollar clients. I think that you may be able to buy some old cars with what you'll get.
Bill in Burl

bullethub

Post by bullethub » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:36 pm

Thanks guys for your tips. I am just digging into this stuff and trying to sort it out in some kind of order. I'm not very good at taking pictures but here is a few more pictures of what I am tinkering with. Thanks Again!!
Attachments
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG (615.97 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
IMG_3230 (1).JPG
IMG_3230 (1).JPG (434.88 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
IMG_3236.JPG
IMG_3236.JPG (577.81 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
IMG_3231 (1).JPG
IMG_3231 (1).JPG (554.39 KiB) Viewed 11917 times
IMG_3232.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG (548.25 KiB) Viewed 11917 times

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:38 pm

Separate the PCGS graded from the ANACS and ICCS. The self-graded 2X2's should be totally separate from the rest. Group the Newfs by denomination and the Canada the same way. The PCGS gradeds are what the major auction houses look for, as well as the guys with the fat wallets. Since these were graded more than a few years ago, grading creep has set in and some may be now higher. You need to do some research and study before you offer them to anyone so you have some kind of a rational ballpark. You can't go by actual prices in books or guides ... you need to either look at EBay "sold" item the same as yours (TPG'd) or actual old auction results. Some folks on here may be very interested in a couple as well.
Bill in Burl

GBELEC

Post by GBELEC » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:52 pm

Sad that your not a coin collector, There are lots of coins there that meany coin collectors would be more then happy to have in their collections. If you study up on the coins and do the correct marketing I'm sure you should do very well from a gifted collection, Good luck.

Talon

Post by Talon » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:28 pm

Quite a variety in the collection here, some will do very well. I think everyone is right here you need to figure out if your selling it all off individual, or group sale to a dealer, or grouping to auction house and then of course the work that goes into each of those. Your location does play a roll in what might be the best idea.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:45 pm

wow... yes some nice stuff there.
Definitely go through a reputable auction place that deals in coins.
That was a very nice gift...
...I have to go wipe the drool off my keyboard now! :oops:

bullethub

Post by bullethub » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:43 am

Hi Everyone, just wanted to say thanks for the encouraging words from the guys and gal that replied to my post,,,, this was my father's collection that he built up over 60 plus years,,, all my life anyways. Like GBELEC said, sad your not a coin collector!!! I was given many opportunities to learn this stuff by my father, but he couldn't drag me away from the old muscle cars, girls and beers LOL!!!
Now that I can finally start opening boxes and get it out there for other people to see,,, the fun begins. I think once I make the first sale weather it's one coin or a lot, things will work out. :wink:

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:57 pm

hello...
if you decide on an auction house, then do post the where and when you think the collection might be up... I suspect some here might like to 'see' some of these.

Good luck.

bullethub

Post by bullethub » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:28 am

Hello again, since the start of this post I have had a couple of collectors have a look at a small portion of the collection, I think they were impressed with what they seen.
A suggestion that was made to me was to send a number of the coins that are now in 2 X 2 holders,,,, to ICCS for professional grading.
This will be a large up front cost but makes them much easier to sell as buyers know exactly what they will be getting and will increase the value depending on ICCS's grading.
Any thoughts or additional info on that idea would be great. Thanks

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:00 am

Any coins that you send in to a TPG must be coins that can be actually "sold" for $150-200, not what you see in a book or guide. The cost of the cert plus shipping and insurance eats a good chunk of money from what you will get for the effort. If you have some of the best ones in PCGS holders, that is much better than ICCS because many of the top Canadian collectors are in the US.
Bill in Burl

Nota_phil

Post by Nota_phil » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:52 pm

The cost of the cert plus shipping and insurance eats a good chunk of money from what you will get for the effort.
I'm not a coin collector but a banknote collector who has submitted my banknotes to two different certifiers & it gets very costly. I agree with "Bill" that you should only be grading "top tier" (highly sought after) coins/notes as the costs could be prohibitive. If these are relatives or buddies (who mean well) advising you then I would take the advice with a grain of salt. If the tip came from a dealer (who knows his/her stuff) then it may be worth going forward & seeking more opinions (eg what are the top 5 coins to certify & bite the bullet). I have seen some of those pre-confederation coins & they do look impressive. Just be aware that the certifier puts the coin under a loupe & will be super critical in his/her assessment. What may look like a strong EF might turn out to be a VF (or "cleaned" or some other issue). One takes his/her chances since there are collectors who would rather bid on ungraded too.

Some of the major auction houses will submit your notes/coins for certification before their auctions (in fact, some may even insist on it). If you plan to go that route, just be sure to request an estimate of your costs (as they will charge you). If you can get assurances that the charge will be minimal it may be worthwhile.

I wish I could give you a more clear cut reply but the truth is it really depends (on the value/condition of each coin/note) so there's no easy answer when discussing a large collection. A collector wouldn't hesitate to slab some of those coins (& some your father already got slabbed) but most collectors know they're hanging onto them & that makes it worth their while- while you, on the other hand, wish to liquidate the inventory in a prompt fashion.

Good luck!
Join the journey: check out Notaphilyc Culture:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphily ... -banknotes

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:34 am

bullethub .... Since you siad that you have contacted Sandy C, probably by phone, I suggest that you write him in Baddeck. You should include a couple good shots of a few of the coins that look top notch. There is no better avenue to get to the top tier than through Sandy, considering where you live.
Bill in Burl