1859 Large Cent...

CDNMace

1859 Large Cent...

Post by CDNMace » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Assuming late stage, 'narrow 9'... can anyone tell me anything about this one? Is there anything overtly unique?

The 'master list' of 1859's gives me a headache. :lol:

There's large die breaks all over this one. I only took photos of the largest. The one which goes from the rim right through to the Queen's head is my favorite. But there are smaller breaks on both the obverse and reverse -- rims and elsewhere. Doubling errors... But then again, an error in Canada is a variety and a variety is an error, unless the variety is a variety -- in that case the error is a common variety of a variety of an error... :? LOL

Moving on...

The 8 and 9, to me, appear doubled (verso Canadiens: 'varietied' haha), but that's likely machine doubling. The letters, however, look to be either DDO or may just be repunches... Basically, what I'm looking to find out is, "This is an 1859 ______...".

Thanks in advance (Bill) lol ...

Steve

Last edited by CDNMace on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verdigris

Re: 1859 Large Cent...

Post by verdigris » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Nice.

Bill might have more to say on the matter....

Cheers

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks. It was a sweet snag.

Nice to 'see' you again, Rod.

Steve

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 am

Do you have the 2011 Charlton with some of the Vicky varieties in the back? We only had room form 80 total, so only about 1/3 or less got in that should be in. BTW, my idea of a variety is different than what is normally bantied about. To me, a variety is a coin struck on a good planchet, with good dies, good equipment, and proper pressures and adjustments. And so die cracks, fills, plugging, cuds, laminations, some mechanical doubling, etc DON'T qualify as a variety ... they are errors because something was wrong. To me, varieties are obverses, hand-repunching, some hub doubling, overdates and simlar things that the mintmaster has approved and everything is good to strike more coins.

Your coin has a combo of some mechanical doubling and repunching. If you look at the A in Gratia and the R in Regina, you will see that the doubling is on opposite sides of 2 letters next to each other. Other letters show rotational offsets rather than lateral. The dies were loose in their keepers and chattering around. I would think that the press was shut down and the dies tightened up not long after your coin hit the chute. But you have some repunched letters there as well. The D/C's do nothing for mthe coin, except to provide key markers as to what kind of variety it (or others) may be. It's keeper but has no name.

I'm out in the sticks in Oklahoma and have no reference with me, using a dial up and a 10 year old machine .. electrons don't flow here.
Bill in Burl

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:38 am

Thank you, Bill.

As for the 2011... I. have. tried. everywhere! Including Windsor and Sarnia (closest border towns to me). With that said... I would be THRILLED!! to, say, perhaps, if possible, purchase a copy from any of the co-authors, should they have a copy for sale; new or used. Signed would be fantastic. Again, if a possibility. Hint-hint. :)

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Steve

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:46 pm

I don't think any of us have any extras .. just the free ones that Bill Cross from Charlton sent to us for thanks (and HE signed then). I have just the one.
Bill in Burl

henrysmedford

Post by henrysmedford » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:30 pm

CDNMace wrote:Thank you, Bill.

As for the 2011... I. have. tried. everywhere! Including Windsor and Sarnia (closest border towns to me). With that said... I would be THRILLED!! to, say, perhaps, if possible, purchase a copy from any of the co-authors, should they have a copy for sale; new or used. Signed would be fantastic. Again, if a possibility. Hint-hint. :)

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Steve

Look like you can get used copies for one US cent plus shipping. See- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/088968345X/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

CDNMace

Post by CDNMace » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 am

henrysmedford wrote:
CDNMace wrote:

Steve

Look like you can get used copies for one US cent plus shipping. See- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/088968345X/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Much appreciated, Henry, thank you!!!

henrysmedford

Post by henrysmedford » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 am

CDNMace wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:
CDNMace wrote:

Steve

Much appreciated, Henry, thank you!!!

I just checked the shipping to Canada is $16.95. So with the help of Mr. Google I found this http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=The+2011+Charlton+Coin+Guide+50th+Ed&sts=t&x=11&y=9 and shipping is as low as $3.49 to Canada from Motor City Books.

henrysmedford

Post by henrysmedford » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:39 am

Looks like that is not the right book see- http://canadiancoppercoins.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2785