Guide book for Newfoundland coins?

General discussions about canadian coins.
JNOD

Guide book for Newfoundland coins?

Post by JNOD » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:56 am

Happy New Year!

I'm looking for a decent book on the coins of Newfoundland - NB, NS and PEI are of interest too but Newfoundland seems to have taken over my collecting interests. There is at least one book on the gold coins of NF but I'm more focused on 5 cent and 10 cent at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Bill in Burl

Re: Guide book for Newfoundland coins?

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:01 pm

Someone just wrote a book on all them. You should make this same post for a thread on the CCF website .. you'll have much better luck. There are very few people who come to this site for the forums. Try this:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/for ... ORUM_ID=32

If you want something right away, I'd pick up a new Charlton Guide Vol 1, that covers circulating coinage ... or the Haxby/Wiley Canadian Guide that has tokens as well. There is also a Newf collectors Organization that is pretty active. Again, post on CCF.

Here is a thread that discuses many Newf coins and refers to the book/CD. Read all 7 pages of the thread. My link is to P5 .... P7 is the most recent page.

Woops .... Here is the link: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... hichpage=5
Last edited by Bill in Burl on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Burl

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks very much - that is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for.

Bill in Burl

Post by Bill in Burl » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Here's some info on the club and the book:

https://www.rcna.ca/numisnotes/ext.php?t=view&id=59
Bill in Burl

momomomo

Post by momomomo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:20 am

Charlton and other catalogues also list some information on provincial coins. Not the most complete source. :Étudiant:

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 am

Yes for sure - I have Charlton vol 1 (2019) - it was the first thing I bought when I started collecting again; the second was Andre Langlois's glorious book on grading Canandian coins which also has a fairly good representation of the Newfoundland issues. [I say "fairly good" but ye gods - that book was a Herculean effort on his part! What's my excuse??!!].

Anyway, Charlton is quite good overall - a nice intro to the history, mint numbers, designers etc. But even from my own decidedly neophyte research, there's clearly a large number of varieties that are not represented there or indeed most places (incl here!). The 1890 five cent for example - I have four of them and they *all* have different issues in the reverse. My favourite has a repunched C, E, N, T, 8 and 0 on the reverse for example. I thought I was seeing things but discussed it with an eBay dealer who is solid on Newfoundland and she confirmed that it's a real variety...not even all that rare of a one.

Lightw4re
Site Admin

Post by Lightw4re » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:29 pm

Bill in Burl wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:01 pm
Woops .... Here is the link: .../forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=305678&whichpage=5
Sorry but CCF website now block all links to coinsandcanada.com for spurious reasons and justifications.

It just feels fair to do the same.

JNOD

Post by JNOD » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 pm

I feel like there must be a story here but I assure, whoever you are, you that I come in peace!