Any good tools to lower humidity for collections.

General discussions about conservation and classification.
CanuckCoinGirl

Any good tools to lower humidity for collections.

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:56 pm

I normally have been able to maintain good humidity in my house, but the excess rain this year, humid days, and dewy mornings have kept my dehumidifier and HVAC system running constantly. Yet, it is still humid - very humid. I have been using some moisture absorbers, but also worry about what might be in those. Further, some of these types actually pull water out of the air and end up with a bead or jelly mass that could tip, so I don't necessarily want it in my storage boxes. In a normal year, I would not be worried, but this year, I do have some concerns about what this humidity could do to coins and bills. I have basically not touched anything in the last few weeks, just to be sure not to have it out. Does anyone have good options they use with their storage options? I have too much for a small box, and not enough for a new room!

Bill in Burl

Re: Any good tools to lower humidity for collections.

Post by Bill in Burl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:37 pm

They sell them in various sizes, but just as handy are the packets put in pill or vitamin/herbal bottles.

Silica gels or desiccant packs are best in coin boxes. Here's some from Amazob:
https://www.amazon.ca/Dry-Packs-1GrCott ... B004FC5VT4
Bill in Burl

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:16 pm

Awesome! I was looking at the silica rechargeable pellets - the kind that turn colour when saturated. If the little packs work well, then the bigger ones for the gun safe canisters won't be a problem. I used to have these small ceramic beads that you could recharge in the oven and they were great because they were totally inert wet or dry, but I can't get them any more.

CanuckCoinGirl

Post by CanuckCoinGirl » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:08 am

This thread was started that has some great information too.
https://forums.collectors.com/discussio ... est#latest